evap leak

bretman38

hello everyone. i have a 02 liberty with a 3.7. it has been giving me fits lately.nw it has set a code that says large evap leak. i can hear some air at back of engine when i rev it up but i can find no leak. anyone have any suggestions? thanks:?|

hello everyone. i have a 02 liberty with a 3.7. it has been giving me fits lately.nw it has set a code that says large evap leak. i can hear some air at back of engine when i rev it up but i can find no leak. anyone have any suggestions? thanks:?|

does your AC still blow cold?
If it does I don't see how you could have a big leak since the whole system holds less than 2 pounds I bet.

The Evaporator should be referring to the A/C system. It's about the size of a kids shoe box and is way up under the dash.

I highly doubt it's leaking, more likely a sensor somewhere giving the computer bad info.

Last edited:
An evap code does not deal with the AC, it's the pressurized fuel system that controls fumes from the gas tank. Try tightening or replacing the fuel cap and resetting the code. If that doesn't work, there is a larger leak in the Evap system somewhere.

good call BH.

I've not heard of that fuel system code referred to as evap.

guess, I'm out of the loop, I thought I knew OBD II better than that:redface:

The code is probably P0455 right? That is definetly the fuel system vapor return thing....Check the hoses on the canister up by the firewall. Mine was in front of the brake master cylinder. Mine were all cracked and falling off. I replaced them and reset the light and it went away. Also, there may be a problem with the O2 sensors, but I would check the fuel system first.

Back