Jeep Oil Pressure is '0' at idle.

jackflack44

I drove 150 miles in my '97 TJ 2.5L 4cyl yesterday, and i shut it off to go grab something from the house, got back in fired it up all was good until i pulled up to a stop sign and my oil pressure dropped down to 0 and the check gauges light came on. It was fine on the 150 mile trip here. as i pulled away from the stop sign my oil pressure came back up to 40 where it has always been. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

sounds like a dirty oil pressure bypass sticking open.

for the most part, anything serious mechanical wouldn't correct like that.

there's a BS bypass in the oil filter, so it might just be an oil change...tho likely you have sludgey innerds... do lots of oil changes like you have a new religion.

there's also a bypass on the oil pump itself... which is a little trickier involving greasy rags and soap.

it might also be a BS dirty sensor connection gremlin...a manual pressure gauge will tell you the truth.

With the absence of engine knock when the gauge drops to zero, i would suspect that the oil pressure sending unit is faulty. As mentioned prior, use a manual oil pressure gauge attached to the same port as the sending unit and monitor the condition.

Those oil pressure are not very accurate\

1. Make sure that you do not need any oil
2. the weight of the oil you use can make a difference

I have a 2000 toyota tundra with a 3.4 liter and at stop signs/lights the oil pressure drop to zero, but no alarms go off.

Next oil change put in a 10w40 oil and the oil pressure should stay up idling.

Good Luck

Dirt Toy

another problem I had on jeep the senting unit on the passenger side toward the rear of oil filter. you could have a bad connection, I had trouble when the connection got wet. all kinds of bells and whistles goes off.

I'm gonna try lots of oil changes and then if that doesn't work I'll try the manual oil pressure gauge. Thanks for all the help I just got back from a trip to Minnesota so thats the reason for the lack of response. However I'm also going out of town tomorrow, until Monday, so I will post the results then. Thanks for the help!

Back