Jeep Axle Swap??

jeepin916

does any one know how much shorter the axle housing for a Ford 9" lookin to swap into a TJ but i dont want to have a really narrow axle on the rear and a normal axle in the front.
Also how would the yolks work out? do i take off the Yolk from the jeep axle and put it onto the ford axle????
thanks all,
Ken :? :? :?

it all depends on what you get it from... most 9" axles will be wider than your stock tj axle. the Ujoints should easily bolt into each yoke

How much wider is a 9 inch out of a bronco?? my friend is trying to get rid of one but i don't want to invest in getting it cut down. gotta get gears too.

why dont you go w/ an 8.8 almost same width, and discs brakes
and if the ujoints arent the same series you can get a conversion joint that has two diff cap sizes

Most 9" axles will be wider than a Wrangler's, except for the Bronco which will be close to the same width. 9" and a D44 front from an older Bronco are a good choice for swaps, I think the D44 has a driver's side diff :twisted:

a lot of people call us a cult

thanks all, hey Far right, im lookin to do a 9" cuz i was planing on keeping some normal gears in it for the high way and street use and when ever i plan on goin out on a weekend trip i can pull out the pumpkin and put in another with some low low gears but thanks for the tip,

also does any one know how much shorter the front dana 44 outta a bronco is? i knida want housings that are the same size.... thanks

the ford 9"? i dont think so they looked small when i seen it at the junk yard, are they bigger than a D44?

i dont know the ford 9" looks pretty small it isnt all bolky like the dana 44 is but i may b wrong ill take a closer look when i go to the scrap yard

2" lift shackles have no bushings,help

a ford 9" has a pretty big pumpkin... it has to fit a 9" ring gear... if you have large enough tires.. that is the best choice

well i got 33 on it now, i want to finish the engine and then go with low low gears and probably 42" tires.... hehehe
hey one other question.... if i get a dana 60 from a large truck and i want to put it under my jeep is it really necessary to have the housing cut? i actually want them kinda longer to keep the jeep more stable???

try to get a front at similar width though, especially if you intend on locking the rear

cartoons

a wider rear axle, especially when locked, will make it harder to steer because the outer wheel has to sweepa larger arc to make it around

Back