Do I need to upgrade the axle shafts in my Dana 30 (with a locker)?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm driving from Virginia to Kentucky this summer for some wheeling (first time the kids and wife are all going), and I'm trying to get my Jeep in good shape, and to also pack all the spare parts that I could need. One thing that's been on my mind is my front Dana 30 axle. I've got an Aussie (lunchbox) locker installed, and it's been great. I am worried though, if I were to break a front axle, how bad would that be?

From what I've read, the Dana 30 usually breaks at the u joint, and the typical fix is to leave the stub shaft in place, and pull the inner axle shaft out, then drive on.

What is the consensus here, is it worth the $1000 or so to upgrade to 4340 Chrome-Moly axle shafts? Would it be better to just get a used set of shafts off ebay, or is the likelihood of breaking a shaft pretty low?

I've got 33 inch tires, and the 4.0L engine. I don't beat on it *too* hard.

I'm driving from Virginia to Kentucky this summer for some wheeling (first time the kids and wife are all going), and I'm trying to get my Jeep in good shape, and to also pack all the spare parts that I could need. One thing that's been on my mind is my front Dana 30 axle. I've got an Aussie (lunchbox) locker installed, and it's been great. I am worried though, if I were to break a front axle, how bad would that be?

From what I've read, the Dana 30 usually breaks at the u joint, and the typical fix is to leave the stub shaft in place, and pull the inner axle shaft out, then drive on.

What is the consensus here, is it worth the $1000 or so to upgrade to 4340 Chrome-Moly axle shafts? Would it be better to just get a used set of shafts off ebay, or is the likelihood of breaking a shaft pretty low?

I've got 33 inch tires, and the 4.0L engine. I don't beat on it *too* hard.
Jeep builds pretty tough vehicles...not bullet proof, but pretty tough.

I upgraded my rear axles when I had an Eaton E-Locker installed, mainly to match the spline count as I think the wrong locker was sent and this was a quicker fix than waiting for the correct locker to arrive since the Jeep was already torn down and on the lift.

I did not change the front axels when the E-Locker up there was installed.

I'm running 33's top and have not broken anything in 5 years, with no real hard wheeling, but some crawling over rocks and dry waterfalls.

If it were me, I'd just keep your current axels since you don't drive it too hard. Avoid bouncy tire slipping and hard throttle when the front wheels are turned, and you should be OK.

A Dana 30 is a Dana 30, and putting stronger axels only solves some of their shortcomings. I'd save the money and put it into Dana 44s if something ever breaks the 30s. Knowing what I know now, I have too much money in my stock Dana's and should have just gone to Dana 44s. But that is water under the bridge.

Your trip sounds like it will be a blast.

I'd love to have a set of E-Lockers - that would be my end-game.
I do have a Ford 8.8 in place of the Dana 35. It's not locked, but I may do that in the future. I feel like the rear end will handle whatever I need it to at this point.

I'm excited about the trip, which is what really got my mind working, thinking about what could break so far from home.

Back