shackles

Orlo

I recently installed a lift kit on my 95 Wrangler , what should the upper and lower shackle bolts be torqued to? I've heard if they are to tight it will ride like a tank.

You don't want to torque your shackles! Just make sure they're on tight... if you try to torque them they'll just keep turning and turning, slowly applying too much pressure to the bushings.

Good Luck,
Jim
85 CJ

The rule of thumb is 40 - 45 ... but, all you ave to do is make sure they are snugg but till have freedom to spin under some pressure.

Thanks for the info, I had read somewhere that they should only be torqued to 10 ft lbs but that seems like it would be way to loose.

I can't remember the lbs I set mine at, but it was pretty loose, I just used some thread lock on them to keep the nuts from coming off

Terry

Hey Guys,

Think about it! Inside the rubber bushings are steel sleeves. If they are put together correctly you will not be able to smash the rubber bushings. So tighten them up! They are half inch bolts and you sure do not want one comming loose. Mine are tightened to 60 foot lbs. and they rotate freely. Have a great day.

Mine are torqued to 20 ftlbs and I used locktite for insurance. In fact, too much torque on the shackles WILL limit your flex and WILL make the Jeep ride noticeably stiffer and harsher.

------------------
94 4.0 YJ-- 8.8 w/ discs (3.73), Rusty's 2" AALs, JKS 1.25" BL, Traklok/Lockright, 32 BFG MTs, TJ flares, custom trail rack, etc.
KC JEEP CLUB

Back