Check gauge light on?

Kyle Naylor

So my check gauge light came on a few days ago and i noticed my battery volt gauge was on 9. The jeep was still running so went to auto zone to have the battry and the altrenator check altranator was good and the battery was bad. On the way to get a new battrey today the jeep died and would not start so i walked the rest of the way and got the battrey. And put it in and it started right up. Then the check gauge light came back on again and the battrey volts were on 9 again. Why is it coming on does it just take a cupple days to clear or what. I drive a 1997 jeep grand cherokee. Any kind of help will be apprecated.

It shouldn't take long to clear battery codes. The reading should be immediate. A good battery reads 12.6v engine off and 14,4v engine running.
A new battery reading 9v indicates an issue. Either a short I'd draining your battery or an issue in gauge or wiring. But being the initial battery failed I think it is a short of some sort. I'd make sure the alternator is load tested with looking for more than 1-2A. More like 12-15A plus.

Last edited:
Back