Carter AFB throttle body repairs (formerly Timing 180* out)

Reinstalled the AFB with that small seat and the motor fired right up after fuel reached the carb, I'm hoping now I'm on the right track. Did I turn this 360 into a turn key?

Good to hear!

IDK thanksgiving IS right around the corner. :p

Got the motor running the other night and I was intending on finalizing the mixture and setting the timing but the motor slowly chugged to a stop after startup. Thereafter I could get the motor running again (slightly less rough) by keeping the revs up around 2000. This is when I noticed fuel puddling on the intake maniford again. I guess I'm not out of the woods with the leaking throttle shafts, unless that fuel is due to spitting out of the carburator, but I doubt it. Unfortunately my finances prohibit buying a new carburator which is why I keep delving into this one.
I'm going to take a closer look at the Viton rubber tip of the needle with a lens, to the naked eye it looked free from damage but with this persisting problem I must be missing something.
...it's getting closer, before the change of the seat (needle & seat) to the smaller size it wouldn't run at all.

At this point in time I would like to thank everyone who's been posting reccomendations, especially as with this damm work ethic of mine I'm not the shapest tack by the time I get home to work on this AFB.

Going to pull and reinspect the primary jets, rods and springs as well. As part of the process I reverified plug wire placement (Accel Super Stock 8mm) and put a thin film of dielectric grease on the roter tip (Blue Streak)

Okay the Primary jets were No. 395's .095 inches and the Secomdaries (that I installed when earlier I found no jets in the secondaries at all) were No 398's .098 inches. In the Strip Kit I have other Jets that as I can detirmine are;

401 - .101
400 - .100
396 - .096
395 - .095
392 - .092

I reckon I could start with the next lowest with a new plug in No. 1 and see how the land lays and move down from there.

Okay the Primary jets were No. 395's .095 inches and the Secomdaries (that I installed when earlier I found no jets in the secondaries at all) were No 398's .098 inches. In the Strip Kit I have other Jets that as I can detirmine are; 401 - .101 400 - .100 396 - .096 395 - .095 392 - .092 I reckon I could start with the next lowest with a new plug in No. 1 and see how the land lays and move down from there.

Being you have a too rich condition going(correct?) I'd start with the smallest all around to insure you go too lean and do not still have another issue. It just seems odd there were no secondaries to start and you had a running jeep prior to all of this.

I hear ya JPn, I could start from either end, I'm going to try and find a local resource for jets today. If not it's to the web I go.

In addition to these jets I have a selection of rods, but I can't seem to find online the sizes corresponding to the numbers stamped on these rods, does anyone know the coding on these?

Originally on this AFB 16-7147
xx47
18-7037
16-W8500

Wow I'd never used a digital caliper before but it sure made for exacting setting for the float and drop, I was off by about 1/16" on one side. I reckon I can mic those rods too, so to find the most restricive.

Just in case anyone wondered what a 'Black Stallion' edition Carter AFB looked like;
P1060441.JPGP1060442.JPGP1060443.JPGP1060445.JPG

Incidentally, I got the new 0.090 primary and 0.089 secondary jets installed and the AFB is all together again, but I'm a little gunshy to try this all again....

There is only one way to tell.

It would be nice to swap someone else's known good carb in there make sure there is nothing else.

Last edited:

With that in mind, I may rebuild that burned up Carter Edelbrock clone carb at some point to see if it makes a difference.

That is the frustrating element in this Carburator, it was running fine and reliable until that sunken float, then the weeping throttle shafts for the last 3 or 4 years now.

Just get a quadrajet off someone from a Chevy 350. Those carbs are super reliable and get really decent mileage, for a carb. Plus, if you get one off a 4x4, they have the internal stuff to stop sloshing fuel.

They are very easy to tune also. I rebuilt and tuned one with never having touched one before.

I can dig that, there's internal baffles in the Carter AFB too... A new wrinkle on this, I hadn't had time since my last post to even start the motor since those new, much smaller jets went in. Even smaller than what was in it before the float sank last summer. One of my two day off per year, Thanksgiving I headed out to the garage and with all the foul outs I've had and expecting more of the same I was
surprised to find after getting fuel to the carb it idled smoothly. I let it run for about two or three minutes before shutting it off (up 'till now the plugs would've fuel fouled) and pulling the no. 1 spark plug it was clean with just a couple of tan spots on the ceramic surrounding the electrode. Going to try it again on Saturday (1/2 working day) fill 'er with fuel and check the timing....... IF all goes well.

Last edited:
Well, it's not so much a matter of patience, than a matter of free time. (7 day working week) not quite back to square one, tried starting 'BB' and after a tailpipe 'bang' she started up and idled. I let 'er run for about 5 minutes (with the same occasional bang) with the double garage door open as well as the back door but it became too much anyway, had to retreat to the front yard. Pulled the no. 1 plug and it was fuel fouled again, but to a very noticeable lesser degree than before.
I'm confident of the float settings as I was using those new digital calipers, and as such I feel it must be something else with this carburator. I've verified ignition and it wouldn't run at all if there was a fault there, and I refuse to believe that this carburator is 'just a bad carb that should be junked' as it ran for over three years without any trouble until that sunken float and the throttle shaft leakage since fixed. What's more since my income is not very good I can't budget for a new carb of any kind, be it Edelbrock, Rochester or Holley. :(

So, on another forum it's been called to my attention that given all the work on the carburator my issue must be with the distributor/spark plug wiring. Here's a few pics of what it looks like, any red flags?
P1060516.JPG

P1060517.JPG

P1060518.JPG

P1060519.JPG

P1060520.JPG

P1060521.JPG

P1060522.JPG

P1060523.JPG

P1060525.JPG

So how does wiring cause fouled plugs?

And just thinking about this.... These seem to foul rather fast.

Have you checked compression? Is there oil in the cylinder or gas in the pan?

You do know you are getting enough air? Is the exhaust clear?? Post a pic of a fouled plug. Please

Last edited:
When I get home tonight I can take some plug pics, in the meantime here's the cap and rotor (sorry for the poor quality on my old phone)

Jeep0164.jpg

Jeep0167.jpg

Jeep0169.jpg

Jeep01681.jpg

I'll take some cap and rotor pics with my standalone camera for better clarity tonight.

Back