Blew my middle console sub today..

Italia5239

I hate for this to be a first post of mine, but I can't get what happened off my mind today. I blew my middle sub, and it's basically making a noise my friend called "farting." I need to get this fixed, because I just can't stand the noise it makes. I was looking on eBay for some replace sub action, but I don't know how much space is in that middle console, and how big of a sub I can put in there. I really want a 12" sub.

I drive an 2004 Jeep Wrangler, and my middle console is the one that's very shallow, with the sub facing the driver seat. I can't remember the special type of my jeep, and I will report back in the morning with that, if it's necessary.

What can I do?

I'll pipe up and say that the best subwoofer upgrade is the in-seat sub (see the link in my sig).

The stock sub is a 6.5" 2-ohm DVC sub wired to show the amp 1-ohm of operation so any standard sub that you get off ebay will not sound nearly as good as it would with a normal amp attached, but it will sound 10 times better than a blown sub. If you are set on just replacing the sub, something like this should work
Parts Express:pyramid WX65 6-1/2" Clear Poly Woofer

For even better sound, you have a couple of options.

1. you can replace the stock sub (inside the stock enclosure) with an aftermarket one, and then add a new amplifier (maybe placed under the driver seat).
2. I've never tried it myself, but I've heard that the Kenwood KSC-SW10 will fit. I'd take out the existing sub and mesure to make sure
Kenwood - KSC-SW10
image-missing.png

Wrangler stock sub photos

Here are a couple of photos of the stock subwoofer. The black enclosure that holds the sub also has the stock amp built in.

Attachments

• 2a9zh9k.jpg
    2a9zh9k.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6,168
  • 2hq9lat.jpg
    2hq9lat.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,315
  • t64a5g.jpg
    t64a5g.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,881
Re: Wrangler stock sub photos

Thanks Terry for such a quick response! Glad to see how cheap that replacement woofer is, and I will have to get it replaced. It's not much of a choice, right? If I want to stop the nasty noise it's making.. I am pretty bummed that the enclosure isn't large enough for me to upgrade to a bigger speaker..

I have $100 that I can set aside in order to put speakers into my car, and those second ones in the back seat look very appetizing, but I'm sure they are going to run about $300-$400 in the long run.

Do you have any other suggestions? Also, how much do you think that the Jeep dealership is going to charge me to install it? Also, if I want to get a good amp, like a 4ohm, what kind of Amp am I going to have to buy, and what's the cheapest I could probably get one?

On a very final thought, I wonder if the casing could be hollowed out farther in order to place a larger sub in the middle console?

Last edited:

You can also try Quadratec.comThey have everything you could ever want for your jeep. They will also send you a free catalog of all of there products, all you have to do is sign up.

You can also try Quadratec.comThey have everything you could ever want for your jeep. They will also send you a free catalog of all of there products, all you have to do is sign up.

Lots of cool stuff there, but I don't have any utilities available to do any installation myself, and I don't really know which ones would be appropriate, or if I bought something like;

well I can't link to it, but basically a 12" subwoofer 4ohm

What amp I would need and where I could put that, plus if I could disable my middle console speaker until I buy that replacement as well..

There's no way that you can put anything larger than a 6.5 in the stock enclosure. Take a look at those photos - a 12" sub would be larger than the box itself. As it stands, anything larger than a 6.5 will be too deep for that box.

As for installing a new sub yourself, you will only need a screwdriver. I don't think a Jeep dealership is going to install a $20 speaker that you bought off the internet. You should really try it yourself - it's not like you can destroy anything, just just ask us questions if you get stuck.

The cheapest way to add a 12 to your Jeep would be to get something for behind the rear seat. I think you'll have a real hard time getting an amp, sub and enclosure for under $100 US, but you may get lucky. Here in the states I'd say try Walmart, or another large discount shopping place. If you do go with a new amp, you need to take into account that the stock amp doesn't run off of RCA jacks, so you'll either need to get a new head unit, or try and buy an amp that has line level inputs. This will allow you to wire from one of your existing speakers to your new amp (i.e. wire from your right rear speaker to your new amp).

As to the cost of my in-seat setup, the single speaker was $125, the amp was about $300, and I spent another $100 on equipment / materials.

There's no way that you can put anything larger than a 6.5 in the stock enclosure. Take a look at those photos - a 12" sub would be larger than the box itself. As it stands, anything larger than a 6.5 will be too deep for that box.

As for installing a new sub yourself, you will only need a screwdriver. I don't think a Jeep dealership is going to install a $20 speaker that you bought off the internet. You should really try it yourself - it's not like you can destroy anything, just just ask us questions if you get stuck.

The cheapest way to add a 12 to your Jeep would be to get something for behind the rear seat. I think you'll have a real hard time getting an amp, sub and enclosure for under $100 US, but you may get lucky. Here in the states I'd say try Walmart, or another large discount shopping place. If you do go with a new amp, you need to take into account that the stock amp doesn't run off of RCA jacks, so you'll either need to get a new head unit, or try and buy an amp that has line level inputs. This will allow you to wire from one of your existing speakers to your new amp (i.e. wire from your right rear speaker to your new amp).

As to the cost of my in-seat setup, the single speaker was $125, the amp was about $300, and I spent another $100 on equipment / materials.

Holy cow, $300?!?! Oh god, that's a heck of a lot more than I was thinking about spending.

Was it necessary for you to buy an amp that good?

A new head unit would be nice, but I would be very worried about having it stolen, since I have a soft top..Ever have any issues with this sort of thing? Is there a way to make it theft proof?

I have a Jeep Wrangler 2004 with a soft top and the sub was blown. The dealer wanted $265 plus tax for the 6.5 replacement, not including installation. The sound quality was terrible. I ended up spending a little bit over $500 to replace the radio, add an amp an a higher quality sub. I have a USB port and cable for my iPhone/iPod in the locked console and have a remote that can control my iPod through the new radio. I had a Kicker amp mounted under the driver seat and put a 6.5 Kicker sub in the console. They tried to get a larger speaker in the console but could not get it to fit. I considered putting subs in the trunk, but with a soft top, I knew they would disappear. My new system cost me more that I had hoped to spend but it sounds great, is well hidden, and I can now connect my iPhone and iPod that I could not earlier.

Oh. I forgot to mention that I have a nice carrying case that I put the front part of the stereo in when I leave the jeep to prevent somebody from stealing it.

Here's a stupid question: how do you get to the #$%& stock subwoofer to replace it? I've managed to get the front half of the console off when I had to replace my shifter assembly, but the back half vexes and taunts me for some reason. I feel like an idiot for asking, since I'm fairly mechanically inclined (hence being able to do the shifter assembly on my own).

It's probably something simple, which will make me look like an even bigger idiot...

But, my replacement sub is being delivered today, and I'm anxious to get my sound system back up and running - like my tunes loud when the top's down.

Thanks for any advice!!

Success!

Thanks, Steel.

Just as I thought - something simple. I offer myself to all for ridicule today for trying to overcomplicate it.

Couldn't get to those back seat cup holder screws, as the cup holder insert was firmly entrenched with some sort of soft drink gunk and what looked like loc-tight. Guess I should clean up after the kids more often...I actually tore the insert trying to get it out.

To anyone else who might need to do this - wiring the new sub from Parts Express was a little different than the stock one. The stock sub had 4 wires connected to it, but doing so on the new one produced no audible response. Hooking up 2 wires only (in my '03, at least) did the trick nicely. Long term affects? Eh, we'll see. It's a $13 sub, so I'm not terribly concerned. Also, I recommend not reusing the screen from the stock sub. Not only did it seem to contribute to the blowout by chaffing the cone where it connects to the frame, but I couldn't see how it would fit with the new one without some mods. Plus, it looks kinda nice.

Thanks again, Steel, and everyone else who posted above.

Well I got the same parts express piece today, unfortunately the screws don't line up where the old four use to be? How are you placing the sub into your consoloe without the four screws, or did you do some sort of modification? Can I get a quick response please..while my car is torn apart.

You have to drill new holes. Just line up the sub where you want it and where the wires don't interfere with anything.

I don't remember what sized bit I used, but it was a bit smaller than the stock screws.

Don't tighten too much, or you'll strip the holes - that plastic is softer than it looks!

Good luck!

Back