Blew my middle console sub today..

Also, I removed the gasket off the stock sub and applied it to the new one. This has to be done carefully so as not to rip it. It's soft and sticky but can be done.

I'd recomment this so as not to get any unwanted vibrational noise fromt he new sub.

just curious as to which two wires you hooked up to you get yours going. i got the same sub in yesterday and went to test it and just get a light buzzing noise. took a look at my amp and it seems to look ok to me. if anyone could help me out id appreciate it.

I can't say that I recall which two of the four wires worked. I just tested different combinations until I found the best result.

Just put one wire on one of the speaker connections, then try the other three on the other connection. If none of those combos work, use another wire on the one connection, again trying the remaining 3 wires on the other connector.

Keep going 'till you get the best sound...it shouldn't take long if the amp is working properly.

Good luck!

just curious as to which two wires you hooked up to you get yours going. i got the same sub in yesterday and went to test it and just get a light buzzing noise. took a look at my amp and it seems to look ok to me. if anyone could help me out id appreciate it.

Any luck with the wiring? I am waiting for my sub to come in so I will be going through the same thing shortly. I dont want to blow anything up trying different wires! :bomb:

not yet unfortunately, i've done all types of different configurations so far with the 4 wires so i dunno yet. maybe its an amp problem. also just put some new kenwood speakers in the sound bar and they dont sound all that great at all maybe its the stock head unit but i dont wanna buy a new one since i have a 6 disc cd player. i'll be looking into it more tomorrow with a friend so we will see. let ya all know if i get anywhere.

so im guessing its an amp problem that i have checked all fuses and such all look good so yea i dunno. just curious if anyone out there who has swaped out the old amp for an aftermarket one and would be willing to sell it i'd appreciate it that way i can just swap out the amps and see if that works dont have the money to put in for a good aftermarket amp and speakers right now being unemployed anyways if anyone happens to have one and would wanna split with it hit me up. thanks

jonathan

Ok, I just replaced my sub with the $13 dollar pyramid speaker mentioned above. I went with this method as I do not like to cut and splice my factory wires. I am just excessive compulsive LOL. It works pretty good. Sound at least as good as the stock sub from what I remember, probably better. Remember that you will have to grind a little of the plastic (straight down in the opening) kind of where the magnet would sit from the pyramid sub. I used a dremmel to grind it down. It is the half moon looking ledge in the bottom of the box. Now as far as the wiring goes, on the 04 in which I have you will use the red and black wire ( I used red to positive and black to neg.) I taped the gray and brown up reall good and used some small wire ties to fasten those wires neatly to the other speaker wire harness. I didn't even have to cut the factory connectors on the red & black wire. One wire fit on the the pyramid sub fine, and the other I pinched a little with some needle nose pliers. For $13 and about 30 minutes time, you can't go wrong with this little speaker. As far as wiring I think the speaker colors are different below 2004 year. But I am pretty sure that with 04-06 you will use the red and black. The best thing to do, if not sure, is sit inthe Jeep with the factory sub box, and hook up the two wires at a time until you get sound. As far as screwing the speaker in, line up the speaker how you want it. I used some small self tapping screws (easier than factory ones) I used a very small screw driver and heated the tip up real hot and pused it right through the plastic to get my holes. Then I VERY CAREFULLY screwed the speaker in. Be careful not to slip with the screwdriver and blast a frigging hole in the new sub. Last, before you put the console back in the Jeep, don't for get the screws that hold the sub box to the console (on the outside) because it is very difficult to get to them with the seat in the way. LOL Good luck, I hope this helps.
Take care
Mike

I just went out and looked since I have my console out waiting for the sub. I have red, black, purple, and gray. Thanks for the info, I will be trying the red and black combo first.

definitely helpful info, and to throw this out there when my friend and i put on the red and black wire i believe it was the black one you could see smoke coming off of it too! surely this isn't the pyramid sub i just got new i dunno. its not looking good for me, and im guessing thats why my sound bar speakers dont sound all the great either since that amp acts as a crossover for the others too?????

I just got done installing the $13 dollar Pyramid sub...I must say not bad. A quick and painless replacement. I wont win any trophies for sound quality but honestly it sounds alot better than stock! I used the black and red wires as suggested by GTAMike...kudos!!! I am happy.........for now.

Glad it worked out for you Heep72. I was cranking mine pretty hard on the way to work today, and it really doesn't sound too bad. For sure better than the stock. Like you said though man, you won't win any contests, but a cheap easy fix for a blown stock crap sub. If you are really a sound nut and used to big woofers and shaking ground, this isn't for you. LOL:rolleyes:

Take care
Mike

Back