2.5l

GreasyD

I had a crazy idea to boar out my 99 wrangler 2.5l 50 over to a 3.0l if anyone has doen it or if its possible who can do it, about how much does it cost and whats the performance gain??

I don't think you could gain a 20% increase in displacement with a simple overbore, where did you hear of this?

Oh, and welcome to the Z.

Now I know what you were talking about. Ok ! first you have a Jeep not a Rice Car. Sure a bigger engine is nice to have but it also cost $ to change everything over. There is nothing wrong with having a 4 banger. You have a really nice Jeep and I would start with a 4" lift or more depending the size tire you want. 33's would look good unless you plan on coming out here to go Rock Crawling then thats a whole other story. If you go through members pic's of their Jeeps you can get an ideal where to start. And if you have any questions of anything - Ask because everyone on here will help. Now add pic's of your Jeep and finish your new member forum.

Now I know what you were talking about. Ok ! first you have a Jeep not a Rice Car. Sure a bigger engine is nice to have but it also cost $ to change everything over. There is nothing wrong with having a 4 banger. You have a really nice Jeep and I would start with a 4" lift or more depending the size tire you want. 33's would look good unless you plan on coming out here to go Rock Crawling then thats a whole other story. If you go through members pic's of their Jeeps you can get an ideal where to start. And if you have any questions of anything - Ask because everyone on here will help. Now add pic's of your Jeep and finish your new member forum.

He really wasn't asking about a lift or tires.

I don't think you would gain as much performance for the $. Just drop a 6 in it if you want more power.

He really wasn't asking about a lift or tires.

I don't think you would gain as much performance for the $. Just drop a 6 in it if you want more power.

I know this Kid personally and it is his first Jeep and it does cost when you start changing engines when there is nothing wrong with the engine he has now. As for me telling him about the lift and tires I know that he wants to get away from the bike trail riding Jeep stock look. I wasn't giving him hell about his Jeep. He just needs to understand that nothing is wrong with his engine and I also agree with you about the performance.

Last edited:
Keep in mind you'll have to have pistons that will fit that bore. So obviously you can't just pick random numbers out of the air. Do you know someone that makes a piston for that type of bore? I really doubt there's room to safely go the big anyways on that motor.

I would not go much more than .20.You will end up blowing the motor from the thin piston walls.There is not much that the 2.5l will not do.Put your money towards small adds like CIA or a Snorkel.Small thing like that are affordable and will make a difference in the power that the 2.5l will put out.

And check out 4BangerJP.com - Index for other squirrel addicts like myself.

I would not go much more than .20.You will end up blowing the motor from the thin piston walls.There is not much that the 2.5l will not do.Put your money towards small adds like CIA or a Snorkel.Small thing like that are affordable and will make a difference in the power that the 2.5l will put out.

If you go to the site Bounty mentions, you will see that YJMechanic did a .060 overbore over a year ago, and has had no issues with his engine.

Now, many of us run the 4-banger on lifted jeeps without issues (i have 33's, and IIRC, Bounty runs 35's, and if you gear properly, you can go even bigger) and without getting into boring the engine (just minor mods, like bored TB's, eFans, catbacks, etc.) and some regearing.

Now, a 2.5L will never have the torque of a 4.0L, but dont put the mighty 4-banger down; it is a fine engine, no matter what the 4.0L owners say!

If you go to the site Bounty mentions, you will see that YJMechanic did a .060 overbore over a year ago, and has had no issues with his engine.

Now, many of us run the 4-banger on lifted jeeps without issues (i have 33's, and IIRC, Bounty runs 35's, and if you gear properly, you can go even bigger) and without getting into boring the engine (just minor mods, like bored TB's, eFans, catbacks, etc.) and some regearing.

Now, a 2.5L will never have the torque of a 4.0L, but dont put the mighty 4-banger down; it is a fine engine, no matter what the 4.0L owners say!

Quoted for truth.

If you want more power, start with the electric fan conversion. Then work your way to a larger-bore throttle body. After that, get a cold air, short ram, or snorkel intake to accommodate the larger-bore TB. Then go with a header-back exhaust system if you can find one. Finally, upgrade the ignition system and advance the timing a little. At that point you should have all the power you'd ever need.

You can also look into getting the intake and cylinder head ported/polished. This that will increase the volumetric efficiency of the engine and is a big plus, it should add a good bit of power when paired with other mods like the intake and larger-bore TB. Not only that, you'll get better mileage (with all these mods together, I'd estimate that it's entirely possible to get 25mpg.)

If you ever decide to run a low-psi turbo, already having a higher-than-stock VE will give you a huge advantage. When turbo-ing especially, you want to get your VE as close to about 95% as possible (it can never be 100%, that's just not physically possible.) And with a turbo, your gas mileage and power will go up even more (I've read that 30+ mpg @ 4.0L power ratings has been achieved.) From what I've read, the 2.5L can safely and reliably handle 8psi from a low-volume turbo with stock internals.

And the best part is, after doing all these things, it'll still probably be cheaper than doing a 4.0L swap and you'll get way better mileage.

Back