5.0 Swap

82CJ7JEEP

Good afternoon to all, I have not had a need to post for a while until now. My son and I are starting a new engine build. We are going to "refurbish" the 302 that has been patiently waiting for some attention. The block goes in next week for a bake, magnaflux, new freeze plugs, cam bearings, and a hone (motor was bored, honed, line honed previously but only made it 700 miles before I detonated cylinder 7). My question to you is: As I have to buy new connecting rods and a crank I would like to go ahead and stroke it, but do I stroke to 332 ci or 347 ci. This motor will not be built for horse power, I am building for torque. As I have never stroked a motor, does it really matter the ci? If not we will go 347 and as I upgrade the drive train and axels I can make top end changes to increase H.P and torque accordingly. By the way, for those of you with AMC 360's, that motor will be the next project when it comes out and is replaced by the 302. Any information and tips for a good torque rebuild of it would be greatly appreciated. I know my Ford motors, not AMC. Thanks in advance and as the 302 morphs I will post pics and progress updates.

Sweet. List everything you do in the swap. A 5.0 swap is the dream swap for me. Someday I'll get up and do it, some day

superj. I will keep you updated. Background on the 302, we have had it for about 6 years. took the first 2 to build it, the third year to blow it up, and it has been sitting on the motor stand since. My 360 is starting to make some weird noises so the 302 has been brought out of retirement. What the plans are as of right now: Block to get prepped, already .030 over, hone, clean etc. the rotating assembly will be a 347 scat crank, I beam connecting rods, and forged pistons. Once that is in I will take the heads in to be cleaned up and checked. They are built already, ported and polished exhaust runners, 194 and 160 stainless steel valves, 3 way valve job on intakes and 5 way on exhaust. comp cam race springs. I will take the heads off tonight and prep the block to go to the machine shop tomorrow. Will try to snap a pic or two and post them.

Keeping an eye on this thread, as I am going to embark on a swap myself. I haven't decided on a 302 or a SBC yet. I'm a Ford guy and leaning towards the 302.

Nice Jeep, 82CJ7Jeep! Any progress yet? Great color, you obviously have a lot of class......lol. :shades:

Howard

Back