79 CJ7 or 99 TJ???

nsummers82

Just stumbled across this today. Don't really know a whole lot about these. Any input?

1979 CJ7 Well maintained, Auto, 91k miles $4990

Going in for a test drive tomorrow either way.

I'm also looking at a 99 TJ 2.5L I4 137k miles $5300

I could really use some advice.

Attachments

• 99 TJ.jpg
    99 TJ.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 946
  • CJ7.jpg
    CJ7.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,063

I remember when the wheels on that CJ were considered "cool". Does Ultra Wheels (the manufacturer) still exist? My sister's first car was a used old Mazda 626 that had those same wheels on it. Anyway, sorry for the derail, back to the topic at hand...

I would say it depends on what your intentions are for the Jeep. Is it going to be a daily driver or something you're going to need to depend on somewhat? If so, I'd say you'd probably be better off with the TJ as it is newer (despite the somewhat higher mileage) and probably more mechanically sound and will be much easier to live with on a regular basis on the highway. However, if you're just buying a 'toy' or something to wheel that you don't have to depend on to get you to work or anything...I'd have a hard time passing up that CJ if it's really in as good shape as it looks.

I remember when the wheels on that CJ were considered "cool". Does Ultra Wheels (the manufacturer) still exist? My sister's first car was a used old Mazda 626 that had those same wheels on it. Anyway, sorry for the derail, back to the topic at hand...

I would say it depends on what your intentions are for the Jeep. Is it going to be a daily driver or something you're going to need to depend on somewhat? If so, I'd say you'd probably be better off with the TJ as it is newer (despite the somewhat higher mileage) and probably more mechanically sound and will be much easier to live with on a regular basis on the highway. However, if you're just buying a 'toy' or something to wheel that you don't have to depend on to get you to work or anything...I'd have a hard time passing up that CJ if it's really in as good shape as it looks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm just looking for "toy", not a daily driver. It will just need to get me to and from the trails (about an hour and a half drive) and maybe some weekend cruising. I'm going to go look at the CJ later today and check it out.

I'd go for the CJ myself, just because it's cooler. You'll have to put much more work into it than the TJ, but they are pretty easy to work on.

Look for rust on the CJ, especially on the frame.

CJ ALL THE WAY! I love my cj5. You will always be able to do cheap great upgrades if you want to go wheeling. But if you are just daily driver go with the Wrangler.

i agree. i would go with the cj also. plus, it is set up like my yj, minus the top. same engine and transmission and htey are great

apples to oranges is what your comparing here..

from a practicle stand point, Parts for the CJ will be cheaper, but you may need them more often then not. not just picking on the CJ, but carbed vehicles in general, depending on where you live, you may need to continually tune the carb to have it running ideal. The transmission is most likely a TF727, very hard to kill this trans.

On the other side, the 4cly is not known for having the same longevity or power as the 6 cyl and up, and with 137K miles, it may start getting a little long in the tooth if it has not been maintained all that well (but this can apply to any vehicle) Also the AX5 in that TJ is not the best unit.

If it were me, I would consider the CJ (if the body is rust/rot free) I would put some old school gray steel wheels on there, some nice AT tires and toss a EFI kit at it.

so basically my investment would be

$5000 Purchase price
$1200 EFI kit installed
$100 for 4 used rims
$600 for 4 new tires

wanted a cj but couldnt find one in good enough shape so i bought a tj now i like the coil sprung jeep offroad

def the cj. i love my yj but still want a cj bad.

Back