85 CJ-7 OEM Towing Package

Hello All,

Does anyone know what items -- beyond the obvious tow-bar and hitch-ball -- would have comprised an OEM trailer towing package for a 1985 CJ-7, I-6, T-5?

I have searched through several printed manuals, several Jeep BBs and also the INTERNET via Google for OEM towing package info -- no luck.

Thanks,

Inspector-G

All I know is that my 85 cj7 has the engine to pull alot, but is actually horrible when you get out on the highway. The wind blows it around, even when pulling a small uhaul.

I don't really think they have enough weight to tow much.

Well, I guess that's of no help to you at all - sorry

rocker panels(side one that DO NOT GO UNDER THE BODY)

Hello, Terry,

Thanks for the reply. I am sure you are right. Heck! -- my CJ gets blown around on an interstate without a trailer.

I would use the CJ only for close-to-home towing of a light, personal utility type of trailer.

For the big stuff or long-haul, I have another more suitable vehicle that is equipped for towing.

Regards,

Inspector-G

Mine's got the draw bar and the ball hitch... and that really seems to be all that there is to it... I've only used it once to tow my old roommates boat, there doesn't appear to be anywhere to hook the trailer's lights up to though :shock:

jim

Model 20 rear diff. ???

Hello, jsharifi,

Thanks for the reply.

This is a puzzle. I asked the question because my CJ, although stock in terms of running gear, save a lift and big tires, is equipped with some components that might have been trailering options.

The CJ has what I believe is a larger than standard capacity fuel tank -- approximately 19 gallons.

The radiator is a three-core, but there is no evidence that A/C was ever installed in this CJ.

The alternator is larger than standard, although it might be a replacement alternator.

The differential carriers, however, are "B-Code" stamped, indicating a 3.31 pinion gear to ring gear ratio. That is not a ratio I would consider appropriate for towing.

I installed a double tube rear bumper with integral trailer hitch on the CJ to replace the OEM bumperettes, but who knows if the CJ ever had a draw bar and hitch ball before my ownership?

Dunno -- an odd mix of stuff.

This is all just by way of puzzling my way through the restoration of an old Jeep, so if nobody has a answer, nothing lost.

But again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Regards,

Inspector-G

Back