'89 and '95 YJ parts

K.13

I'm in a endless search of parts for my YJ.... never ending at that.
I know the body parts on a '89 will fit my '95 but will the mechanical?
I got the tach out of a '89. haven't tried putting it in yet, but I don't see why it wont work. On the '89, the transmission and t-case were just rebuilt. I know the t-case is a 231 and the transmission is a 5 speed, just like mine. I cant remember if it has the straight 6 or a 4 banger, but I do know it's carbed. How can i find out what transmission is in the '89 and my '95? And assuming it's the 2.5, should the parts fit? I want/need a new transmission and the new t-case wouldn't be to bad to have kicking around as well. Thanks for any help.

First thing to do is make sure both vehicles have the same engine. If they both have the 2.5, you should be OK.

If they are a match, then the tach should work. I believe the 2.5 in the 89 uses an ECM.

But just know that a tach from a non EFI engine won't work on one with an ECM. The signals they receive are different.

Well damn, that sucks. Luckily I didnt pay for the tach. I bought the windsheild frame for 200 bucks and the guy threw in the tach, hood latches and the glove box door for free. I know the '89 was carbed, so it wont work, huh?
Im not 100% sure whats wrong with mine, the guy I bought it off of said something about teh cable. Can I just switch out the cable from the '89 onto mine?

200 bucks is alot for a windshield frame. aren't they a hair over a hundred band new?

no idea on you speedo cable question

Does your '95 tach not work at all? Which engine do you have in your '95?

I doubt the '89 tach will work at all, they changed most electronics in '91.

The price was a little steep, but I searched for months and that was the only used one in pretty much mint condition I could find. I found a site that sold the frame, seals and glass for arond 300, before shipping. So the 200 isn't too bad, plus like I said, the steel is great and it's already black.

And my mistake, it's the spedo that doesn't work. The tach is fine.
No, the spedo doesnt wokr at all, and the engine is the 2.5

you will need a speedo from a 91 and on jeep regardless of the motor, in 91 they went from a cable to VSS.

Edit: might be 1990 for the 4 cyl, don't recall exactly

Oh well, like I said, the guy threw it in for free. Not too big of a deal, just got to hunt down a newer Jeep. Only bad thig is I had to bend my 1" wrench to get onto the cable at the T-case. Might come in handy again now, though. Thanks for the info.

'95 does not have a speedo cable, it's electronic. If your speedo doesn't work, it's unlikely a bad gauge, more likely a bad sending unit mounted to the transfer case. It's attached to the tailhousing of the transfer case with a retaining clip and 1/2" bolt. Parts stores sell a replacement Speedo Sending Unit.

Before buying any parts, make sure the speedo gear beneath the sending unit is properly engaging the transfer case mainshaft. Do a google search for "jeep speedometer gear" for instructions on how to do that.

Back