94 yj clutch and brake question

69jeepcj

My friend just got a 94 yj, 6cly, 5spd. It had a few issues that we took care of, but two things are puzzling us. If you hold the brake down, you can feel it bleed down. We put new brakes and shoes and wheel cylinders but still does it. You can see where the booster had a leak at one time but doesnt seem to be leaking now and we cant find any other leaks, I suspect there is still a bit of air in the lines? The other thing driving us nuts is the clutch, if you put the jeep in gear and hold the clutch down, you will sit there a few secs or so, then the jeep will start to move on its own as though you were pulling the clutch out. The clutch dont do it every time and it took him a few tries to show me what it does, but this can be very scary at a red light with cars in front of you. When the clutch does that, it wont come out of gear and he has to shut it off, take it out of gear and restart. The clutch fluid is full. You guys have any idea why this is happening? I have never seen a clutch do that. Oh, the PO said he just put a new clutch in it. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

I would start with the Master Cylinder….. How old is it? If you have bled the brakes, it is possible that the hydraulic fluid is flowing back under pressure. The drum side of the cylinder should have a check valve to prevent this and/or the cylinder piston is worn out. As for the clutch…..Does this occur with the engine off? If so, have someone watch from underneath to see if the clutch fork is moving back into position. It could be an issue with the slave cylinder allowing the fluid to bypass back into reservoir. Just a thought……

Check valve on the master cylinder, I will check that. I was thinking the slave cylinder on the clutch issue but have never delt with one so I wanted to run it by everyone to see what you guys think. I dont know if it does it with engine off, I wouldnt think so but we never tried. I wont be back over to his place till Fri or sat evening but will look into that. thanks! Oh the PO installed a new master cylinder, we suspected because of the ovious leak it had.

lol, Well, I didnt get over there yesterday but talked to him and he went ahead and put a slave cylinder in it. He said he isnt sure if it helped or not, he did say that he couldnt see any way of bleeding the clutch system though, and is wondering if that is whats needed. you guys have any idea how to bleed the clutch on a 94 yj?

I'm not sure about a 94 but my 88 has a bleeder coming out the side of the bellhousing from the same hole that the line goes in.

'94 shouldn't have a clutch bleeder, you just have to pump the bejesus out of it.

Check the front brake calipers and make sure they're on the correct side of the Jeep, make sure the bleeder valve higher than the banjo bolt.

thanks guys, yeah he says he cant find a bleeder so I will have him take the cap off of the resivor and pump the heck out of it. I will check the calipers as well..

Back