97 jeep grand cherokee problems

Got my scanner today. Came up with code p1391, which is crank sensor. Also has a feature that shows if things are running right. Red x is bad. Tell me if you think this means the o2 sensor on cat. Thx. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402698827.551311.jpg

Kj

Yes , apparently the downstream O2 is out of spec. Certain to fail an emmissions test . I see you pulled a code and it's the CPS. Very popular and good for causing driveability issues and no starts. Guessing that live stream data has also shown a lazy or dead down stream O2 .
The scan tool is wonderful and eliminates guess work , all is needed are the specs which I'm sure you've obtained whether on line or repair manual. I'm holding new hopes for the reman PCM , just sorry I did not know there were issues such as the CPS and a dead O2. Glad you've got your hands on the scan tool . Proud to say your kickin' tail ! :shades:

I did a live reading with scanner while driving but it's all gibberish to me! The code is only for crank sensor so gonna replace that first. This is the coolest scanner I've ever seen, so glad I bought it! Hopefully my girl will be running properly tomorrow. My set of 12" kenwood subs miss me! Lol. Do you think the bad crank sensor could cause a faulty o2 reading? If not, I have the DS o2 on hand. :)

Kj

Last edited:
I do dig your new scan tool to the point I'm jealous. Will have to break down and score one ( maybe the auto x-Ray) and stop grubbing my brothers actron. The crank sensor and o2 are not associated in that fashion although causing nasty driveability issues. The CPS makes for hard/no starts and while not functioning right , cannot correctly time spark and electronic injection. I would do the CPS ans see how she runs since the down stream o2 does not contribute to engine management in the way of fuel trim , it just gives the emmissions reading for the inspection.
That can be dealt with later. As you've stated , live data would be jibberish without the specs table to know what's within range and what isn't. I believe the CPS is read and expressed in voltage but the table within the scan tool will confirm that and a table from a repair manual will have the specifications range. But yeah , I'd go after the CPS first as it is what tells the PCM the position of the number one piston position helping toward spark and injection firing order .
I am as anxious as you are to get you cruising with your sounds ! I'm glad your enthusiastic to your beautiful ZJ , aren't you ?!!!! I know you are ! Anxiously awaiting the results !

Heck yes! I love this Jeep and am ready to scrub the pollen off and cruise while bumpin my tunes! Great info, will replace cos tomorrow and cross my fingers and toes! My scanner is an autel AL319. I got it on eBay for $30. At walmart, they're $75. Will update tomorrow...hopefully while grinning ear to ear! Thanks for all the support!

Kj

Woman get the best deals ! I hate that ! Just kidding. It's cool that your a woman who is diagnostic literate. This is way cool. Feeling excited for you and will be overjoyed we saved your jeep which you will feel the tingle of success right down to your toes !

Get on eBay and you can get a killer deal too! I love gadgets, so if it lights up, I can figure it out! Haha! I'm totally stoked, wish it was tomorrow already!!

Kj

Well , here in New York , it's ten minutes from tomorrow but I know you work better in daylight .
As soon as I pay down my paypal , I should try to score a deal to. Thanks. Love gadgets , special tools and electronics too . They help in life and make us happy. Go for it ! Go through the scan menu and you'll find items to research and this leads to staying on top of your jeeps health .
This is the cool part , when you can find what is good and what needs to be addressed .
Happy about your new scanner but most happy you can read what your jeep feels and thinks !

I'm in Washington state, it's 9pm and still light out! But my stepdad is gonna do the work cuz he owes us some money. Too tired to deal with it tonight, so I told him wait till tomorrow. I'm happy too, I wanna keep this jeep for a long time!

Kj

Your ambitious feelings will succeed in many cruising miles and sounds . Heck , isn't that what it's all about ? Thought you'd say yes .

A girl and her jeep , it a beautiful thing ! Silly boys , jeeps are for girls !

hahaha, for sure! i sold my mustang and bought the jeep. i liked the stang but i love the jeep!!:driving:

Lmao! To be fair, my first rig at 16 was an 84 Toyota 4x4 SR5. I used to 4x and mud the hell outta that truck! Lol. I was the only chick out there at 16 with a bunch of old dudes. Haha. My dad used to get so mad!

Kj

Sorry , I fell out with my ipad2 last night / this morning . Just got it in a charge state as the back light ate up battery storage. I remember a Toyota 4runner I liked because of the shorted look but it was mid-late 70's . They were strongly improved in the '80's and some 4wheel magazines still report their offroad readiness powertrain/drivetrain wise. I've also owned and driven out of the jeep family as well . It was a '78 Chevy blazer K5 . We reduced it to a beater but still awesome .
my first love was a '78 jeep cherokee . I still think about that truck today and if times weren't hard then , I would have never sold it . Likely I'd still have . I know I wish I did now.
I won't fault dad , and I know you won't either , he was just looking out for his baby girl , particularly around older men. I respect that. Probably wasn't much fonder of your hard trail exploits eith the SR5 either as he knew he would have to undo what you did on the trail . Lol.
i,want my present love , my '92 jeep cherokee to last forever too but I asks for TLC every time I walk up to her for a drive . Mechanically , it's within my means but financially it's presently on hold. It's my DD but my dream jeep is a CJ5 . I'm at odds of early , mid or late production sometimes but personally , I will be ecstatic at any model year ! One day , I hope , if the stars are in alignment. Right now , I just try to help out when someone's passion is in distress .
Your jeep cries for your touch and hope to be of assistance that you enjoy her FOREVER !

I regret neglecting to mention an item also worthy to check as well. So sorry. It is the camshaft position sensor or possibly by another name such as sync signal generator. It feeds back to the PCM similar data as the CPS does . A CPS will help the engine start and a CMP will help the engine after start , basically. For our purposes , we need both to be in working order. A CMP can be simply checked with a volt meter , engine off and harness disconnected and probed while cranking engine . An on - off but steady reading should be suffice . You can also check if live stream data is available on your newly acquired scan tool . If so , that will speed things up nicely!

We used to have a k5 too and loved it! That sync signal is part if the switch plate in the distributor? When I looked it up, it showed that anyway, but was calling the switch plate a CPS. If that's the case, it was already replaced. Still waiting for someone to fix it. Gahhh! Getting anxious! lol. Patience isn't my strong suit!

Kj

Ok, looks like we got it! Replaced the CPS and didn't make a difference except it stopped throwing a code. Put a new downstream o2 sensor in and it runs perfectly now!! Let's just hope it stays that way. Will be replacing upstream o2 sensor soon. Thanks for all the help. So happy to have my girl purring again!

Kj

PAR-TEEEE !!!!! I'm as happy for you as you are for you ! Surprising it took the downstream O2 sensor to make it happen , did not make a difference on my brothers '99 grand . Well , I'm just happy. I think I will spare the questions and just be happy you can finally cruise and blast some tunes and imagine the big smile you have as you sing along with your cd's !
A girl and her jeep with nothing but open road . It's a beautiful thing ! Your most welcome and so very happy for you . Didn't have the heart to see you put your girl up for sale . Well , best of luck to you and of course , your welcome to check in anytime . Oh , did I welcome you to the forum ? Welcome to Jeepz.com ! :welcome: We appreciate your membership ! Thank you and enjoy !

Back