A little scare......

Heep72

....I am coming home from work yesterday......hitting about 90-95ish ( I swear other traffic was going just as fast) miles an hour (Colorado I-25 south bound is 75 mph speed limit) in my 05 Rubicon. I was passing someone on a downhill and the heep proceeds to jerk violently (sorta) and start to slow down! I am thinking s**t I blew my motor. A quick check of the gauges shows no check engine light or low oil or overheat..........I wasnt losing control like a blown tire. So, I quickly deduced that the rev limiter kicked in on me! I took my foot off the pedal and touched it again and all was good. I have never had that happen with any vehicle I have owned so a new experience. So kids, dont speed in a wrangler....or anything. Just thought I would share. :roll:

....I am coming home from work yesterday......hitting about 90-95ish ( I swear other traffic was going just as fast) miles an hour (Colorado I-25 south bound is 75 mph speed limit) in my 05 Rubicon. I was passing someone on a downhill and the heep proceeds to jerk violently (sorta) and start to slow down! I am thinking s**t I blew my motor. A quick check of the gauges shows no check engine light or low oil or overheat..........I wasnt losing control like a blown tire. So, I quickly deduced that the rev limiter kicked in on me! I took my foot off the pedal and touched it again and all was good. I have never had that happen with any vehicle I have owned so a new experience. So kids, dont speed in a wrangler....or anything. Just thought I would share. :roll:

I had an '88 Mazda 323 GTX that I just sold earlier this year. It's a full-time 4WD hatchback with a little intercooled/turbo 1.6L motor. It had a few aftermarket goodies on it and it was making a cool 180-200hp and was relatively light - point being it was a pretty quick little car and was fun to drive. It had an aftermarket ECU that raised the rev limit from 6000 to 7500 and retuned the fuel curve so that you could run up to 16lbs of boost. The problem was that the GTX has a stock fuel cut that kicks in at 12lbs of boost, which is the most you can safely run in stock trim. You can disable this, but I never got around to it. It made the car a pain to drive in the winter when it was nice and cool out, as if you got on the throttle at all the engine would violently cut out and you would be slammed forward. It once slammed so hard when it cut out that it broke one of the shift cables and I had to limp home with only 2nd and 4th gear.

My wifes car is an 01 Impala, I don't think it is a rev limiter but it does shut down when you hit 115mph. Anything just under that and your ok(don't ask my how I know lol):D

I-25 is the Autobaun. I am usually doing 90-95 on it and still being pass like I am standing still.

Fast kills.......slow thrills. But, fast is a one heck of a rush sometimes.

I-25 is the Autobaun. I am usually doing 90-95 on it and still being pass like I am standing still.

Yes....a Colorado I-25 veteran! lol You can be going as fast as the speed of sound and still people will be passing you it seems like! I will be sure and wave to you Monday coming home from work! 8)

My Jeep tops out at 70 MPH.

How in the world did you get it to 95 MPH?

My Jeep tops out at 70 MPH.

How in the world did you get it to 95 MPH?

Its a 4.0....for a six cylinder it does pretty good. 80-85 is a daily average speed for me coming home from work depending on traffic. I can try and take a pic of the speedometer next time......I know I dont want to hit that rev limiter again any time soon though......so I will be staying away from 90 or more. I was surprised at how smooth the ride was at that speed for a wrangler. :rolleyes:

I can't imagine doing 90 in my Jeep. But a few weeks ago, I hit 45mph while being towed down a winding mountain road behind another Jeep and that was a little scary too. Almost passed the other guy!:shock::shock:

I commute to work in mine daily and usually run 70-80 on the interstate. It has a 4 inch lift and 33's and anything over 70 it developes a little shimmy and the faster you get the harder the shimmy. Never had mine over 80 and don't want to, so I can't even imagine 90+. It would probably walk right off the road.:lol:

I hit 96 in mine by accident ;-) then I chickened out....

Yeah...I was right around that speed when the Heep said thats enough. The other day coming home from work there were two other Wranglers and me doing about 85 on I-25........a little pack of Jeeps pretending we have V-8's...:rolleyes:

I've driven a muscle car at 160mph, ride my motorcycle at 135mph, skydive and freefall at a 120mph but never will i go over 70mph on my Jeep. It will scare the living crap out of you once you hit over 70mph.

I drove 80 in Pa then down to 76 to 71 to 70 in Ohio. Between Maine and NY I drove 95 then 80 back to PA. 76 near Philly is scary to drive in a jeep.

Yeah...I was right around that speed when the Heep said thats enough. The other day coming home from work there were two other Wranglers and me doing about 85 on I-25........a little pack of Jeeps pretending we have V-8's...:rolleyes:

And they wonder why I don't move over :shades: :shock:

Back