A question on drilling through the floor

mudwisr

Hey all,

I'm planning on drilling through the metal floor of my 99 TJ just beneath the rear passenger seat (to secure an amplifier). Am I gonna hit anything down there or should I just drill away?

Thanks in advance for responses.

well, look under where you are gonna drill...thats the easiest way to find out.

brake line, gas line, frame, wiring harnesses, exhaust, fuel tank...

Ah, what the heck! Go ahead and drill away!!!

You're kidding right?

Make sure you use the biggest drill bit you have too! However, these guys are right.....you might want to look under it first.

If you plan of off roading your jeep through mud/water ect. that's probably the worst place you could mount an amp.

Once you drill into the gas tank, make sure you grind all the burrs off and make lots of sparks.:flamethro Seriously though, there is a lot of useful stuff under there like brakes lines and the gas tank. You might remove the tank and make the job a lot safer.

I mounted one under the rear seat (above the gas tank) a long time ago and like 3 Jeeps ago. Make sure you know whats down there and be careful not to penetrate through the hole and into something else after it is made. It's a good idea to use plumbers putty or something simular to keep out moisture when you tap the screws. Just my 10 cents.

Soon my new project will have an amp to i thought glove box center councel or under the seat, you need to think dry and hidden from thieves for when the top is off everybody seems to think under the seat is the best option.

Attachments

• jeepz.jpg
    jeepz.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 62
My amp is hidden under my backseat and the place i had it installed at put some kind of clear caulk underneath to seal it off from water. Seems to keep the heat down well enough under there. Better than a closed trunk i'd think(especially with my top off). What speakers you plan on putting in? i'm running 2 4x6 2way and 2 6x9 4way pioneer, 2 memphis 10's, memphis pr500 amp, and a sony gt-400 head

bsnider said:
Soon my new project will have an amp to i thought glove box center councel or under the seat, you need to think dry and hidden from thieves for when the top is off everybody seems to think under the seat is the best option.
Don't know about the TJ's but I know the YJ's have lots of room behind the dashboard glove box if you pull it out.....depends on how big your amp is.

Craig said:
Don't know about the TJ's but I know the YJ's have lots of room behind the dashboard glove box if you pull it out.....depends on how big your amp is.
good point, and there are many small powerful amps out there but they are usually expensive if you want them to pack a punch from a small package.

Listen to everyone else and just look under the spot you plan to drill. It would be very difficult for us to give you an exact measurement of the location of every component under there.

Back