AC IN A CJ7??

LadyGator

Wanted! old JP magazines

HAS ANYONE UPGRADED THEIR CJ7 WITH AND AC CONVERSION? MAYBE YOU THINK I AM CRAZY CAUSE IT IS NOT AS HOT WHERE MOST OF YOU ARE FROM, BUT IT IS HOT IN FLORIDA.HELP!

i would suggest getting all the stuff from a CJ that had AC from the factory.... this will proabably be an expensive swap....

I AGREE I KNOW IT IS EXPENSIVE, JUST WONDERED HOW HARD IT IS. THE HEATER WORKS FINE, BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW INVOLVED THIS UPGRADE WILL BE.

Hi,

Try ACKits.com. Then search under '83 Jeep CJ for an "AC KIT". I've heard this good things about this company.

Also, it would be best to get a kit like the above since it uses the modern R-134a refrigerant. A stock CJ setup would use the R-12 refrigerant which is not as easily avalible and costs more.

Good Luck :mrgreen:
-Nick :!:

My 1983 CJ7 has AC in it. I am not sure if it is factory, but I do not think it is. Either way, the aftermarket kit listed above looks very similar to what I have. It appears to be a relatively simple install. I know that the part that is inside the Jeep is simple. My AC unit had been removed from the inside and I put it back in. There were only a few wires to hook up and then the hoses as well. I live in Houston and my Jeep is my daily driver. I work in a professional envoronment and spend time on the road going to other companies and cannot be covered in sweat and smelly when I get there so AC is a requirement. I have been VERY impressed at how well the AC in my Jeep cools. I was not expecting much from it but it has worked great. One problem that you might run into is that the radiators in most Jeeps of this age are not adeqate once an AC is added. I would suggest getting an up graded radiator when you get your AC unit. I think that you will need a 3 core radiator. In stop and go traffic I have to turn my compressor off when at stoplights. I plan to put a new radiator on during the srping. Hope this helps.

Some CJ7's did come from the factory with AC actually... although I wonder how effective it would be with soft top/doors. Here's what Collins Brothers sells, but its pricey, so you might want to look at their used underdash units (under used jeep parts), and then just focus on getting the necessary compressor/mounts/etc. elsewhere.

http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/air_conditioning.htm

jim[/url]

Another note is that I do have a hard top and spent time sealing it up (tailgate, liftgate leaked a lot of air). I am sure that AC would not keep a soft top as cool.

First of all, I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Anyway I have a soft top and do not use the jeep every day, I have a truck. However, it is sooooooooooooo hot here anything would be a help. It is just an idea I am playing with for the future. Thanks, these are all great suggestions. Deerhunter you are a big help all the time because you also have a CJ7. I am not sure why, but on the link listed above it mentions power steering. Why is that significant in AC?

Power Steering is only relevant because of belts. Some Jeeps use a different size belts depending on whether you have a Power steering pump or not. :mrgreen:

LadyGator,

It was my experience that aftermarket A/C auto specialty shops were common in the southern states.

By way of comparison to the suggestions offered above, you might want to inquire of local specialty shops as regards the price of aftermarket A/C system purchase and pro-install.

This is not to suggest that there is anything wrong with the previous ideas, but you are very likely going to end up at a shop for A/C system evacuation and charging anyway.

Wouldn't it be nice to drive away from that shop in a nice cool Jeep WITH an A/C system warranty on the passenger seat?

For what it might be worth...

Regards,

Inspector-G

that sounds like a good deal, but will it work in my CJ?????

It appears to be for 1987-1995 wranglers. Any system could be made to work in the CJ, but it could take alot of time, effort, and money trying to adapt a system to work. Your best bet would be finding a system that has parts that will fit your CJ without lots of modifications.

Also, that system doesn't state what refrigerant it runs... best to find an R-134a system :mrgreen:

As far as I know the A/C units for the CJ's and YJ's were basically an aftermarket type anyway. I believe they had independent blower controls and were just your basic under-dash unit. As long as you can get the compressor to mount and work on your 4 banger then you wouldn't have a problem. 8)

Where in Florida are you? There are a lot of Jeep specialty aftermarket shops that do all sorts of mods to jeeps and could just as easily do AC. Two are Toy Box Jeeps in Daytona Bch and Morris 4x4 in Fort Lauderdale.

Back