adding to a 2" coil spacer lift?

mercab18

i recently installed a 2" coil spacer lift on my 97 TJ. now i want to go bigger. if i install an additional 4" rock krawler lift on my truck, will it be a 6" lift? i know i probably won't get as good compression as it would be with an actual 6" lift, but my truck is more of an on road jeep rather than a crazy offroading one. any suggestions?

What I want: Rock Krawler TJ 4.0 SHORT ARM FLEX SYSTEM (says it's $999 on RockKrawler.com)

I think that if you purchase the 4 inch kit, and put the spacers on top of those new springs, you'd probably have to turn around and buy new shocks, since yours would be too short.

I don't know too much about castor / camber angles, and long arm / short arm kits, so I'll leave that to others, but I think you'll have to deal with alot of angles between your transfer case and your axles when you get up that high (meaning the spacers on top of the 4" kit)

BTW - it looks like Muddy Rocks has your Rock Krawler kit for only $899
JEEP WRANGLER TJ

Some have done it, but I wouldn't recommend it. You would end up with a 6" lift and that's too much spring/spacer height for a short-arm setup. The control arms are too steep and your performance will suffer greatly. The control arms will push the frame up instead of compressing the suspension, both onroad and off, and cause for some very poor handling.

Stick with the 4", add a 1" or 2" body lift if you really need the extra tire clearance. Sell the budget boost.

ok now i'm going away from the 4" or 6" lift and thinking about just another inch or so to clear my 33's better. everyone keeps saying install a body lift, but would it be ok for me to just install another inch onto my coil spacer lift?

(i have actually been told already that this is a bad idea, but i can't figure out why)

would it be ok for me to just install another inch onto my coil spacer lift?

Just so that I can understand, how exactly would you go about doing this? Are you going to get another 1" puck, and stack it on top of your existing 2" lift? That sounds pretty unstable to me.

I would build a second spacer that would fit nicely into the already installed spacers. I would not be worried about them fitting together, just whether a 3" coil spacer is acceptable without dropping the TC, extending the brake lines, etc. Thanks.

A 1" body lift is very commonly used in conjunction with a 2" coil spacer lift to clear 33" tires. I'd do that over a 3" combined spacer height.

At 3" you would want to lengthen the brake lines and possibly use a transfer case drop. Adding a body lift would allow you to run the setup you have.

the only reason i ask about doing the coil spacer addition rather than a body lift is because i installed my coil spacer lift (so i know how to do it). i've never done a body lift before.

Body lift is easy. Loosen all body bolts, remove one side at a time and jack up that side of the body. Once that side is hand tight, do the other side.

Back