Air shocks

steady.foot

88 YJ. No lift. Does anybody know what fits? Can't find any anywhere. Not going to lift it with shocks. Just want a little boost once in a while. Don't want booster springs or add a leafs.

I don't know... I don't know anyone that has put air shocks on their jeep,( you mean like "car air shocks"? I know when I was a teenager we would put air shocks on the back of our cars, they alway ended up blowing out.. I would think putting them in a jeep would be even worse.. you could put 1" body lift, or up to about an 1" longer shackles, and I would think both of those would be cheaper than air shocks. I wouldnt think the air shocks would let your suspension move much.

Define air shocks?

I think you are refering to Air Bags.

Air shocks, offroading wise, are designed to replace springs, leaf or coil, and will support the weight of the vehicle.

back in the 60's & 70's, cars could come equip with air shocks that would air up with increased load (groceries in the trunk for example) a small compressor was in the trunk. one of the hazards with these is that the shock mounts were not designed to support weight.

Air bags are the modern version of the old school air shock. again, use a compressor to air up and help with increased load.

Nope. Don't want any kind of lift. and they still make air shocks. I don't want air bags. Too expensive for what i want. Just need a little boost once in a while. Was wondering if anybody knows what, If anything, will fit.

Have tried the local parts stores. They don't even list them. Have googled it with no luck. Will see what JC Whitney has.

It's for a buddy that pulles a small trailer ocasionally and he wanted something to help it a little. He's not looking to put a lot of preasure to it.

another option to look into if interested, there is a shock that replaces your stock shock and has a variable rate coil spring around the body that acts like a over load spring. A friend uses them on his pick up, They work well and will not effect ride quality with in the normal range of suspension movement.

edit, found them
Gabriel HEAVY-DUTY SHOCKS WITH OVERLOAD SPRINGS - JCWhitney

Looks like a good alternative to what we're doing. And not a bad price for what they are. As most of us know, Stock springs on a YJ aren't desigined to cary much load.

Back