Anyway to get better braking?

Craig

Hey. My brakes suck. I've heard from someone that 95 YJ's have a better master cylinder for the brakes which will improve braking. Any truth to this? Any other ways of improving braking? Another suggestion was converting to an ABS system but I think that's just one more thing to break when I get mud into it.

Power or manual brakes?
I have heard of tricks to the brake pushrod. Don't know the specifics.
Thought about installing rear discs?
I assume that your pads, rotors, drums, etc are good and also clean.

Are you useing stock f/r ?? You can get a bigger bore M/C. There are a few that work either with no mods or very little. I am useing a mercury marqie for my four wheel disc, but there are others

What year jeep? Tire size? Axle type?

Biggest improvement I've seen is to adjust the rear brakes so they actually work.

It's a 93 YJ on 33" tires. Brakes are completley stock (except the pads) and all in good shape. Recently had the front rotors machined and the pads are good. The rear brakes have also been adjusted. Just spent almost $2000 (Canadian) having the rear axle completely rebuilt with chromoly axleshafts and a detroit locker so replacing the axle with one that has disc brakes isn't an option right now. I don't think there's anything wrong with the brakes it's more because of the 33" tires I'm running. The brakes work but don't stop the jeep as fast they should. I'm just looking for any simple mods I can do to improve braking.

Last edited:
Yeah i have the same problem. I was thinking about new drums and pads, maybe high performance of some sort. From what I've heard the best mod is rear discs but the conversion kits are $500.
Mike

You can swap the M/C for a bigger bore now and then if you go to rear disc you'll be set. If your m/c is like the early yj's then use a merc. If it's newer like a tj then go with dodge 3500.......Plus buy NEW not reman worth it in the end.

Take a look at the Ford E350 master cylinder then.

And just because your shoes are decent, and somebody rebuilt the rear axle, don't assume the brakes are properly adjusted.

I've ran several YJ's with 33" tires, and for me if the problem was severe enough to ask for help then there's likely a mechanical problem and solution.

I'm not assuming the brakes are properly adjusted just because the rear axle was rebuilt. I had the brakes all checked and adjusted a few weeks ago. The braking problem isn't that severe. It still stops with no problems, just not nearly as good as when it had stock size tires on it. I don't expect it to stop like it did when it was stock. I'm just looking for any improvements.

Bountys right. The mid 80s Ford Van MC is a good fit. I swapped in FSJ axles last year, and along with them came giant brakes. My current YJ MC wouldnt lock em up. So I upgraded to a bigger bore MC from th VAN. I had to wobble the holes a bit but once i got it in and bled it -and the lines- it worked, and still does work like a champ. Cost like $15.

You could also go with the old Vette MC, but its special order at many parts stores, and cost alot more.

pirate 4x4 has alot of info on this subject.

luck helps i guess - my 89 stops great all stock w/33's - you want to consider braided stainless brake lines if youre upping the pressure as the stock ones will expand and take away some of the extra oomph youre getting - might as well cover all the weak links if youre going to upgrade - just my $.02

Back