automatic shift lever

Thanks greg. It will take some time but I will stay with it and work all these things out. This is what restoration is all about.

Thanks greg. It will take some time but I will stay with it and work all these things out. This is what restoration is all about.
Your welcome Scott . You definitely have the right attitude . I know you won't give up. Hang in there . Looking forward to up coming posts of your progress .

New Holley 7448 350 cfm two barrel arrived today the adapter plate is on its way. I think this carb will be a real good set up. Manuel choke just like the old days. I will post how things run as soon as I get it installed and running.

Just had a look at that model. Now that's what I'm talk in' about ! I likes me that carb ! No more pulling the float bowl to adjust the float , just set the topside adjustment and watch the sight glass for fuel level. Now that's the way a carb should be ! It's no more expensive than a stock rebuilt . Way to go !

The adapter plate should be here around Wednesday. Now its time to rid some of these extra wires and vacuum hoses. Choke cable went in today. Holley has two vacuum ports one fuel line simplicity. 8 inch chrome air cleaner, How Cool is that.

Good deal ! Was just wondering if the BBD carb has a mixture control solenoid . I know GM used them with throttle position sensors on two and four barrel carburetors but was t sure if your carb had one. Pretty sure it dosen't have the TPS ? How about an idle speed control ? That I would expect. I'm thinking you'll reinstall the EGR set up as was installed ? Just thinking about this as you said you'll be cleaning up extra wiring and vacuum lines. Please do check the hood clearance when the new air cleaner is installed . I know the carb should be close to the same height as the BBD but can't say for sure if the new air cleaner will. I'm sure you thought of that but just wanted to be safe . Don't want that cool chrome air cleaner to get tweaked unnecessarily .

10-4 will do. I have seen cars were they have closed the hood forgetting to check for clearance it's not good. Air cleaner stud just about through the hood.

Adapter plate came today. Must test fit to manifold to see if all is good. I will have to shave a little off adapter so that throttle will clear with no problems. Will post the progress.

I see what you mean . Got to make room for the accelerator crank arm ( I think that's what it's called ?) can clear through its full travel . I can hear that Dremel tool now ! Thanks again !

I took the stock carb off today wouldn't you know it the adapter plate I got was the wrong one. I called Summit and their sending another out Monday. The stock manifold has a very small carb base. I sure hope this Holley is going to make a big performance improvement.

Wow , that is a complete bummer . Was hoping the install and tuning was your next post . Real sorry to hear that. As long as they got it straight in terms of application now , we ought to hear good news soon . Again , real sorry for the delay .

While waiting for adapter plate I started looking into why the steering constantly needs to be corrected from right to left while driving. I removed the steering stabilizer / shock absorber and found out it is junk. New one coming tomorrow this should make a big difference will see.

It seems the previous owner did not give much love to this CJ but the love a spoiled child has for a toy . Plays hard one minute , drops it another minute for another toy. Happy you rescued it from the PO and are giving it the TLC it deserves. Little by little Scott , you will turn this venerable machine back into the jeep that graced television screens everywhere with the American motors commercials that helped makes the CJ an icon that will live forever . Lest we forget , no other model had a production run as long as the CJ . I know your proud because you own a CJ !

Got the steering stabilizer in today with a lot of adjustments to get it right. I had to adjust the stop bolts on the outer hubs, mostly the left side. It had to be brought out. By doing that it keeps the stabilizer from hitting the center section of the front axle when turned all the way to the right. The adapter plate should be here tomorrow.

It's great when your parts arrive and you know what your next plan of attack is. Every time I get something via FedEx , UPS or USPS , I say " it's like Christmas around here !" LOL .

It was like Christmas today adapter plate came. I had to do some modifications using my die grinder with carbide cutting tools. Also had to use the stock spacer with the adapter plate in order to keep the throttle blades from hitting the manifold. So now its like a mini high rise. Tomorrow I will have to work on the throttle linkage hookup. Hopefully I will hear it run tomorrow.

Holley carb is on runs great right out of the box. This cj has a lot more power and the manual choke is the way to go. Very happy with this setup.

Hey Scott , sorry I've been MIA a couple days . That is fantastic news ! Like Hannibal smith used to say on the A-team , " I love it when a plan comes together ". I knew you would kick butt when the carburetor came in , just waiting to hear the words ! Brother , your getting there , now your jeep RUNS. ! Gotta love that Holley carb and it's set up way better than the BBD in terms of tuning. Thanks Scott , looking forward to more updates . Thanks again , Greg .

Your welcome Greg. I think the next thing to work on is the trany detent issue but that is gona mean dropping the pan. That's a job I have to sike myself up for but either way its something that has to be done. I am basically saving this cj7 but I try to make it a hobby that makes it more fun.

Back