Aw4 trick

Chapes1010

I heard from a buddy that you can get a wiring kit or something to that effect off some website (Nate didnt remember the site) that allows you to flick a switch that will not let your transmission shift from 1st to 2nd when its dropped down. so say im going up a hill and am a few feet from cresting it im in 1-2 gear its revving high in 1st then shifts to 2nd then it will drop back down to 1st and i wont make the hill. so if anyone knows how to wire the trans or computer to trick it into staying in first or you can flip a switch and make it stay in 2nd. if anyone knows what the i'm talking about or have done it before please let me know, thanks.

I remember the good ol' days when you could do that manually with the shifter. Just yank that bad boy down to 1st (Low, L1) and go, or slap it in 2nd (L2) and go, and it would stay there. That was before the days of electronix in vehicles, though. I didn't even know the trannies would shift out of 1st or 2nd when the shifter was there until last winter when I was in my work van on the ice. I downshifted it manually to slow me down, and the dang thing stayed in 3rd or 4th, whichever I was driving in at the time. My Camry and my wife's Camry will shift like that manually though.....Come to think of it, the older GMC 1 ton van I used to drive did too. The Chevy 1 ton I drive now is a '98, the other was a '93, I think. The '98 has the 5.7 liter Vortec, but don't know what transmission.....

I heard from a buddy that you can get a wiring kit or something to that effect off some website (Nate didnt remember the site) that allows you to flick a switch that will not let your transmission shift from 1st to 2nd when its dropped down. so say im going up a hill and am a few feet from cresting it im in 1-2 gear its revving high in 1st then shifts to 2nd then it will drop back down to 1st and i wont make the hill. so if anyone knows how to wire the trans or computer to trick it into staying in first or you can flip a switch and make it stay in 2nd. if anyone knows what the i'm talking about or have done it before please let me know, thanks.

Gimme a few and I'll find it for you, the guy is on Pirate.

Edit:
http://awshifting.com/

Last edited:
He's actually from NAXJA originally. It also allows you to lock the torque converter. I think the guys name is Matt.

I just wired my 96 like that, works great!!! www.GoJeep-xj.info/index.htm. He specifies a diode to keep current from back feeding to the module, which you can get from radioshack, but i just used a spdt switch, so there is no possible way you can do any harm. Read the torque converter lock carefully do not recommend!!!

He goes by BrettM on Pirate, thats what I figured his name was... :lol:

Yeah that's it... Brett. Matt is another guy on NAXJA. It's been a while since I have been on there.

He has an MJ if I'm not mistaken.

If you guys find something worthwhile I really want to know about it.
The dreaded 1-2 Upshift problem plagued the XJs because the only people that had real problems with it were hard core Jeepers. Jeep may have never thought that people would be wanting to stay in 1st while coming down the stairs on Blackbear road. Creeping down steep grades is nearly impossible with that problem without riding your brakes to the boiling point.

Back