Broke Ignition switch lock cylinder

ndnatty

Now I can start my `79 cj-7 without the key in the ignition switch. Can this be easily fixed, or should I just replace it? How would I go about it?? I know its easy to steal a jeep, but don't want to make it extremely easy!

I have the same problem but i can fix it by turning the wheel back and forth until it locks. Make sure your wheel is locked in place, then the ignition should lock too. if not buy a new tumbler cylinder and crap, its cheaper then having you jeep stolen.

I had the same problem and fixed it by the turning the wheel method as well. However, if it bugs you too much replacing it shouldn't take too much work.

my buddy replaced his igniton switch in his ranger and he said it was a b*#ch to get out, but maybe thats just the ranger thing

2003 Trail Boss 330 (Mini Jeep) 4 Sale

Its the same way in a 93 ford tourus... but i dont know what its like in a jeep

By the way, ive never owned that car and never will... it was in auto mechanics class in high school that i did that.

:)

Nathan

speedo gear

My father in law has replaced several and said that there was something you have to push with a screwdriver to get the cylinder out, said it wasn't too difficult. If you're set on changing it I can ask him how it works

Thanks for the input. Outofstep, I would appreciate any and all help I can get. It's gotta get fixed. Thanks again.

sounds like once you remove the steering wheel there is a hole in the face of the column that you put a screwdriver down and push on a tab that releases the cylinder. However it also sounds like it can vary between the various years and steering columns

In my 80 cj5 I had to disassemble and take the cylinder out to tighten the Tilt up. You have to take the stearing wheel appart, then there is a special tool to take the lock ring off to get the next assembly off. I think after that you will remove the blinker assy, then I think you can get to the cylinder. There is a tab on the top of the cylinder that you push in with a screwdriver and the cylinder pops out.

Mine does the same thing but if I wigle the switch it will usually lock.

Thanks for the input folks. However, what I ended up doing was shooting a little graphite into the cylinder and worked the key in and out a few times and now it works just fine! How bout that! That saves me a whole lot of choice words trying to wrestle the steering column apart!

I busted my ignition lock rack once. What a pain in the ass. I thought I'd have to replace my entire column, cuz the parts guy had no idea what I was talking about. Turns out the part I needed was on a rack in the back of the store, he just had no clue. Go figure.

Here's a link to a thread I started a while back when I had the problem.

http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=317623&highlight=

Hope it helps

If it's just your ignition cylinder, you can by one for about $15 at any parts store. You just remove the cover around the column and there is a little click that you have to push in on top, the new one just snaps right in.

Good Luck

Back