catalitic converter?

abe

Ok just blew out my cat the other day and knocked it out today. just as a temp fix till i get a new one. i have been looking at alot of pics and products. whats the best suggestion? The cat must have been replaced b4 i got my jeep so I will need eigther to replace the whole thing or just use a universal one? i noticed that they r rated by how much ur vehicle weighs. Is that what i am looking at when i get a universal. any input would b a big help. but it sounds like hell with it knocked out and a flowmaster series 40 muffler. thanks

i thought it went by engine size?
yeah me too. but as i was looking on summit racing it gives gvw. i had no idea what that meant.i guess it could b the same thing. if u have a 4 banger then I would guess that ur not driving an 8000 lb vehicle.

is it bad to gut it and put it back?
i know that thats y i said its a temp fix. I only drive it 8 mi a day and other than that it sits parked. i just need to know if the gvw is what i need to order the right one.

I took my cat off 2 years ago, and wired in an o2 simulator. I dont see any problem with leaving it off.

yeah i havent seen ne problems, no lights or nething but the o2 "simulator"? what is that? couldnt i just drill a hole in the new piping and weld a nut in there and thread the old one in

The guy at the muffler shop looked up a universal unit in the catalog and welded it on. The cheaper ones cost about $120. Cost me about $200 total.

The innards of my cat ended up in the muffler I changed out AFTER I passed the Emission test 2 years ago. It had to be retested and passed cleaner than before with a new muffler and the old casing in place. My fuel economy went up 5 mpg on the highway after that too.

no emissions testing were i live i just welded a short piece of pipe( with a bung to fit stock o2 sensor) to the outside of the glass pack the sensor gets heat from the exhaust but is sealed in the pipe runs good no check engine light.

They only do a visual here and I know people to get a safety sticker on the side but since it doesn't hurt anything, I leave it on

Back