Change Wrangler Serpendine Belt?

billblair

motor swap

Trying to change serpendine belt on son's '99 Wrangler -GM cars have an idler pully that allows you to release tension on belt by using 1/2 inch rachet and pullin up on pully. Couldn't find idler pulley on Wrangler. There are 2 pulley's below the a/c compressor - is one an idler pulley that will release the belt tension? Ther is another pully under the PS pump...but loosening the pully bolt did nothing. It appeared that pully would slide in a groove to loosen the belt -but wouldn't - HELP - the belt needs to be changed out! :?:

overfilling automatic transmission

I'm not positive about in the wrangler, but in my 01XJ the tension thing is under the power steering fluid. It's a hard fit if you have big hands but you should be able to do it. All of my XJ's have had the thing there so hopefully it's there for they TJ's too. Good luck.

RE: What

Cherokee Guy:
there is a pulley under the ps pump-screwed to a bracket that has a slot that should let the pully slide, releasing the tension on the belt- but when you loosen the pulley nut...it doesn't- to complicate the ordeal more....there is some type of 8" adjustment bolt behind the pullybracket with a 9/16 head-it doesn't seem to do any thing either - I'll repeat that GM has a very easy idler pulley that is very easy to release the tension on the belt to remove it...I got no clue how to replace this belt
thanks for your help :roll:

RE: clicking/popping front end

You have the right location if I am correct but there is a second bolt on the pulley with the slide bracket that needs to be loosened to allow it to slide. I'm going from memory here, but I know the system that you are referring to. It is a 2 bolt adjustment. One tensions, the other locks it in place.

Try the 15mm pully bolt for the power steering, loosen it first. Then loosen the 15mm nut next to the front of the valve cover, on the driver's side. It actually allows the belt to slacken. Just an idea, there are several methods used by jeep with the serp. belts.

You have to loosen the pulley nut and then turn the long bolt to back the pulley out. The long bolt doesn't travel axially, it is in a fixed position and its rotation moves the pulley towards or away from the belt, increasing or decreasing the tension.

Back