cherry bombs on a 304

Ian Davis

So, I was just wondering how many people would wanna shoot me for putting cherry bomb glass packs on my cj5 with a 304.(no y pipe, no cat, just right off the header)

Haha! I say do what you will. I wouldn't wanna shoot you for it, but your neighbors might. ;)

Flowmaster 50s or the cherry bomb turbos. Ran both on my chevy and sound bad A**

Years ago I was building a 350 motor for another mid '60's Chevelle, steel 10/10 crank, high lift long duration cam, four bolt main, etc. when the plain jane 350 in my '77 Chev short wide pickup developed a flat spot in a couple of cam lobes. I didn't have the funds for another motor and recamming an old motor didn't make financial sense. So I plugged this monster into my pickup and ran 'er up to brake in the cam bearings. Lived out in the country so no problem with noise except my neighbor thought I had an airplane behind the house.
It was an 11 mile ride to town to get an exhaust system set up and the rolling sound of those uncorked headers is a sound I'll never forget.

Last edited:
I am more partial to glass paks then cherry bombs but either would sound badass. I ran straight pipes on my 79 chevy step side with 350 and everyone always asked what I had because it sounded so cool. Straight of the manifold and right out behind the doors.

A buddy had a cj with a 304 and glass paks and it was sweet. Like a hotrod at the track

i had em on my 304 when i had a 304. I love them, big bold sound. my neighbor hated it but they all have sticks up their butts :p

What gives a better rumble without the full on scream lmao idk I'm only 16 workin on a cj5 build that was handed down to me from my grandfather

I think the cherry bomb turbos are are cheap to. They sound better than glass packs. More of a performance sounds.

you know what will really make that 304's exhaust sound sweet.... A loapy cam..

I would honestly say sound is secondary to performance in my book. loud exhuast is just that, but if the person that you want to hear it is in front of you because they are faster, that loud exhaust is null and void.

I personally prefer glass packs with some type of resinator when considering the sound.. but I run a 8" dynomax circle track glass pack on my YJ... it's sounds pretty decent, I get a lot of popping after a hard throttle though.

Lastly if you really want loud exaust, get some zoomies.

jps4jeep said:
you know what will really make that 304's exhaust sound sweet.... A loapy cam..

I would honestly say sound is secondary to performance in my book. loud exhuast is just that, but if the person that you want to hear it is in front of you because they are faster, that loud exhaust is null and void.

I personally prefer glass packs with some type of resinator when considering the sound.. but I run a 8" dynomax circle track glass pack on my YJ... it's sounds pretty decent, I get a lot of popping after a hard throttle though.

Lastly if you really want loud exaust, get some zoomies.

Not looking for volume just performance and a nice sound and something cheap

superj said:
I am more partial to glass paks then cherry bombs but either would sound badass. I ran straight pipes on my 79 chevy step side with 350 and everyone always asked what I had because it sounded so cool. Straight of the manifold and right out behind the doors.

A buddy had a cj with a 304 and glass paks and it was sweet. Like a hotrod at the track

I used to have a 79 chevy stepside too...I sure do miss that bad boy. Snapped the frame. It was a sad day.

i prefer the cherry bombs pretty durable from minor hits on obstacles off road and relatively cheap in case it wasnt a minor hit and needs to be replaced

I have them on my '79 CJ7's 304 and love em! Though my 3 yr old boy says "loud daddy, loud!"

Back