Cj7 suspension

mkbakker

Hi all, new to this forum and hope someone will be able to help. I installed a Rough Country 2 1/2 " lift kit with 200 psi shocks, my ride is a 100% worse now then with my old worn out springs and shocks. The ride is so hard now, my wife won't even ride with me. Is there a way to soften her up a bid, the jeep I mean. My shackels are greased and loose, no issue there.
I was wondering going to 150 psi springs or taking a leaf out. My marriage is in your hands.

The first mistake you made was buying the cheapest product produced. Rough country isn't well known for high quality. About the only thing you can do without replacing springs and shocks, Is take it off road and articulate it as much as possible. That will loosen it up some but you will also lose some of your lift. Softer shocks might help some.

Rough Country is one of the stiffer springs out there. Make sure no shackle bushings are seized, both on the spring and the spring hanger. Use nylock nuts on your shackles so you can run them snug but not overly tight. Find a moderately deep ditch and run across it at a 45* angle slowly so your springs articulate as much as possible. A little extra weight in the Jeep will help the springs loosen up.

Unbolt any spring clamps also. Pry the leaves apart and put grease between above the ends of each leaf.

You have been given good advise. softer shocks will help, shocks control up and down movement of the spring. Too stiff of a shock or spring will result in a stiff ride. Your springs are also new and will take some time to break in, the above advise about the ditch is good advise and will help break the spring in. I parked mine over night flexed out, then the next night I turned it around flexed the other side and let it sit over night again. It helped but still took about half the summer to break them in.

Back