Clutch Linkage Woes

jsharifi

I really need to move somewhere where I can have a garage or a driveway or something to work on this CJ of mine.

A few weeks ago I was driving when I heard a thud, and my clutch suddenly had no pedal pressure whatsoever. I had it towed to a garage near my apartment, and I didnt see it again for 3 weeks.

At first they told me that they were 'inendated due to all the snow'. Fine. I'm willing to cut them some slack because of the snow. So I call back a few days later and they tell me that they're having trouble locating a bellcrank for the linkage. I asked them if I could have one shipped there because I knew where to get one at, and a few days later they got a box from quadratec with the parts they needed.

FINALLY on Monday, my CJ is 'ready' to be picked up. They told me that a motor mount broke, causing the engine to shift, and when that happened it snapped the bellcrank. Fine, seems logical enough.

I picked it up late monday, and the clutch just doesnt feel right. It has almost no throw to it and it engaged right off the floor. It was also loose on the upper end and I could jiggle the pedal with my foot easily.

So I took it back on Tuesday night, saying that the clutch didnt feel right. The mechanic said, "But it drives fine, right?" I said "yeah", and he told me that I probably just wasn't used to the feel of the new, tighter, linkage. Still I asked them to check it out anyway. They claimed that they drove it and looked at it, and that it was fine.

So alright... maybe my instincts were a little off... maybe the clutch was just set up differently than I was used too... maybe not.

Last night I picked it up, and shortly afterwards the linkage snapped... again. I waited over an hour for a tow truck... again. And had it towed to the shop... again. Hopefully they will actually fix it this time.

Sorry for the long rant, but it just goes to show that if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. What's so irritating about it is that if I had the means, I probably could have fixed this on my own... it sucks to be at the mercy of some mechanic. I will make them fix this, but they have to know that they're losing a customer. The crazy thing about it is that our vehicles are extremely easy to work on! I feel awful for the person that drops off a newer hi-tech ride and expects quality results!

Rant Over,
jim

edited by: jsharifi, Mar 13, 2003 - 10:03 AM[addsig]

I'd have the other motor mount and the transmission mount replaced, as it does sound like a logical cause.

Try to find out if the improper adjustment the shop set it at may have caused it to break the second time. Chances are if the adjustment didn't feel right, it probably wasn't. It shouldn't engage completely right off of the floor.

Good luck :-D [addsig]

Yeah, I think they did a shoddy job putting the motor mounts in causing the engine to break the mounts and/or shift again.[addsig]

There is a kit to get rid of the old type linkage the problem is that when you flex the frame pulls on the linkage do yourself a favor change it. As for you clutch adjustment it should come in a little off the floor and should have play at the top.[addsig]

if your o.e. bellcrank lasted for a while, and this one broke right away again id say find out whats making it break. sounds like theres still a problem and just replacing the bellcrank might not fix it. the garage says they replaced what originally made it break but i think there missing something .[addsig]

Back