clutch problems

73cj5guy27

hi trying to figure out my 73 cj5 304 V8 with 3 speed. the clutch was done wrong cause of the body lift. i took it off and then unadjusted the adjuster from the frame to the trans to were everything is set right and readjusted it and now i have 3 1/2in of play in the pedal and my book says 1in max. well when the clutch is pushed in it stops at 4 1/2in and cant go anymore. the fork on the trans only moves 1in and stops and wont move anymore. is this normal or is something messed up form the guy putting the body lift on it and adjusted the hell out of it, cause i have to start it in gear and as im starting it it starts moving and cant shift into any gear if started in neutral. so could the clutch be bad or something

does it engage when you step on clutch
if it don't engage all way you may need to extend the rod going to the fork
or just go hydrolic I used a toyota master cyl and slave cyl for a 86 land cruiser it ran me something like $70. I got it at napa

slave cyl part # 37525
master cyl part # 39751
as for the hydrolic line measure how long it needs to be from master to slave and match it up with what ever works for your application
mine in the 3b was 29inches out of a Subaru
I don't want to say that's the length yours will be since your jeep is bigger than mine ,
if you convert to hydrolic you'll be glad you did

Back