Dash Guages

Craig

I've lost all the guages on my dash (tach, speedo, oil pressure, temp., battery) and I don't have access to my Haynes auto manual till the weekend. The fuel guage is still working, I think. I have a full tank and it's reading full unless it's stopped working and it's just stuck there. I'll have to figure that out as I use up the gas. I've already checked all the usual fuses both at the fuse box under the dash and under the hood. I've even tried beating on the dash with no success. Can anyone tell me if there's an inline fuse for all the guages and if so where? Also, I have lost the lid to my fuse box under the hood which lists what fuses and relays are for what. The fuses are good but if anyone could check the bottom of their lid to see if any of the relays control the guages that would help since I have no way of telling if they are working without actually testing them. Thanks.

Happened several times to my YJ with a short in the backup lights blowing the guages, always a bad fuse. Don't remember which one, I'll check on it.

I had the same issue ... turned out the fuse was good but the fuse holder contacts in the fuse block were loose. You will probably note the dash lights are not working either.

Do not start the engine, but turn on the parking lights. Wobble the fuse around a little to see if the instrument lights come on. If so, I just soldered a little to the fuse holder top and bottom to make sure the contact was tight. If not, then it sounds like a bad ground.

Hope this helps.

BTW ... I think it is the 20A fuse marked "Acc". Next to the bottom row on the left side.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Happened several times to my YJ with a short in the backup lights blowing the guages, always a bad fuse. Don't remember which one, I'll check on it.
Just noticed tonight on my way home from work that I have no reverse lights. They will work with my manual switch but not when in reverse.

TWDJ said:
You will probably note the dash lights are not working either.
I can't tell if my dash lights work or not because I got rid of those a long time ago. I fried the circuit on the circuit board for the dash lights for my speedo. They wanted over $200 for a used circuit board. I replaced all my guage faces with white Glow Guages which are wired seperately from the guage itself.

Just noticed tonight that all my radio stations have been reset too. Must've had some kind of power surge or something.

Turned out to be a bad fuse. The fuse looked good visually but had a small crack in the wire inside it. It worked on and off if you wiggled the fuse.

Just a note (albeit late), but the best way to test a fuse is with a test light. You touch each contact on the top of the fuse. If only one side lights the test light the fuse is bad. Like you found out, it is sometimes hard or even impossible to visually see an open in a fuse. That usually happens because the fuse is defective rather than a grounded or overloaded circuit (which will blow the fuse and create a visually obvious open).

Back