Diesel swap questions?

larrymo49

First off I don't know squat about diesels...but I do like the idea of more torque and maybe better gas mileage.

Does anyone know of a good diesel swap say for a early '90s XJ, MJ or Wrangler?

Maybe a small 4cyl. as opposed to a big Dodge or Semi version. I know Jeep put a Renault 85h.p. diesel in a few '85 to '87 Cherokees with poor results (probably because they used a French design).

I'm more curious as to what's involved in a gas to diesel swap in general...and if anyone has had any good or bad experiences.

Good or Bad idea?

Thanks,

Larry

Why would you want to? Diesel is running 30 to 50 cents more per gallon than gas right now, and with the introduction of Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel I have experienced a 4 mpg loss on the highway. My buddies have confirmed losses as well. My F250 6.0 was getting 18 on the highway. Now getting 14 highway, 13 city. Add those two negatives to the fact that diesel pumps aren't on every street corner and it just becomes too much of a hassle. We also don't know what the ULSD is doing to hurt the longevity of the diesel.
Now I will say that my diesel has it's benefits for towing and hauling, but if you were looking to do much of that you wouldn't be driving a Jeep in the first place.
If you can't tell, I'm a little irritated at diesel prices and quality these days.
BTW...Do a search for 4BT Cummins installs on pirate.

Thanks for the responses and info.

I guess the jury is still out especially re: the point about diesel cost and reduced mileage from ULS diesel gas.

Performance looks pretty good though.

There have been some great claims with the new diesel engines..but that may just be hype. Nothing speaks louder than experience!

Thanks again,

Larry

diesels that "easy" to swap.. (and they really aren't)
VW (both Jetta's and new Bug's) Mitsubishi (found in some dodge's like D50's)Isuzu (frito lay trucks and some chevy cargo vans) Mercedes's older turbo diesels are actually fairly easy to swap, but performance is way lack luster.

Stick with the gas.

Back