Door part siezing up

bradleyheathhays

96 XJ here and my front doors have been tough to lock for a while now. It began about 10 years ago when something in the locking action became stiff and it took 2 pushes on the electric lock switch to get it locked or unlocked. It got worse over the years where it eventually took up to 5-6 pushes at which point I just started locking the doors by pushing the big rocker switch.

Thinking the lock actuators were failing I changed those out last year and learned a lesson. Problem still there.

So at this point I"m guessing it's the latches. I ruled them out before because I've sprayed tons of lube up into them and it didn't seem to help at all. Locking them using the rocker switch now takes a fairly good push with a stiff thumb. Locking and unlocking with a key is hard as well. If not the latch what else could it be?

Check your wiring and grounds. You could put a brand new motor in with bad wiring and the wire drops the voltage making the new perform like old.

Regards,
JPNinPA

Sent using TapTalk

Thanks JP I'll check my wiring for anything loose.

Elsewhere I've been advised to 'lubricate the latches with a penetrating grease, one that sprays in as an oil and then sets up as a grease.'

Any advice on what kind of spray lube would work? Never heard of a kind that sprays in but sets up as a grease.

Back