EFI for 78 CJ, Howell, 4.0, or V8?

There is a little more power, not too much, still have to downshift on hills. I never really knew what the mileage was before because the jeep was towed a lot with a towbar.I took it to shops to be worked on and to the trails behind my truck. It is getting around 13 mpg lately, half in town and freeway with a little 4 wheeling. I DO want more power, I found a couple articles on the head swap.

Jeep 4.0 Head Swap

4.2L Head Conversion - Putting a 4.0L head on a 4.2L block!! - Jeep at Off-Road.com

I need to see about what intake/exhaust to use, I need to pass smog still. I need to get back to work, I am working on the jeep now, I changed the seats yesterday,to leather(i got them for 50.00) did some work on the top/doors/windshield alignment today, replaced the float in the gas tank, so now the gauge works again. Changing oil now, have to trim the front bumper(the 35s hit it), change the front driveshaft, change a tail light, and if I have time, make my back bumper.

Well I didn't get to the new back bumper, I found a broken motor mount(I KNEW IT!!) I fixed that, and changed the tail light, oil change etc. the other thing I found is a broken axle u-joint(dried up no grease). on the left front, these are Dana 44s from a scout, so I have to change that today if I can. There is an article on changing the coil and cap to a ford (TFI?, I think.) Which I will try to get done this weekend. I'll let you know how it works. oh, its here duh! By Terry Mason
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/engine/16904-tfi-ignition-upgrade.html

How did the Howell swap go?
Any issues?
(first post!)
J.B.

The only issues I had with the EFI was a bit of a voltage drop on the inside of the car for the computer, which i rigged a relay for a direct wire to the battery to fix, and too much fuel pressure. It turned out that the little 1/4 steel line to return fuel to the tank was very plugged, I ended up replacing it with a 50psi fuel hose, after that no issues, runs very well. little high on the idle. I have learned that i need an intake and exhaust from an 88-89 to get a little better performance and still retain EGR, haven't gotten those yet, when I do that may solve my other smog issue with having 2 items that need to be plugged into the water(temp sensor for the EFI, and a ported vacuum switch)
I only have one place to screw these into, in the block. I guess the later manifold has a place for one of these, although I may need a diferent adapter plate for the throttle body when I change manifolds,if anyone knows of a header with EGR, or a good performance manifold that has the EGR, please let me know. I may still decide to go to a V8 chevy someday, if the power won't get me up the hills on the freeway, but that is another year probably.

I also need to have a Catalytic converter installed,(probably get one from summit racing, and put it in myself) and get the ported vacuum switch all hooked up to pass the smog test when it comes up.

Apart from getting rid of the dreaded BBD and it's issues.
Did you notice any appreciable increase in HP?
J.B.

Back