Engine Build Suggestions

Tison78_CJ5

My neighbor builds engines for race cars.
I have bought another 304 engine, high rise manifold, and 4 barrel holly.
I intend to build this for long life.
Mainly I am curious about the cam. Should I go with a more aggressive one?
Probably will have cylinders bored 20 over.
It is going to be balanced.
I do plan to use the headers already on my Jeep.
Does anyone have something to make it more fun or last longer?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Do some research on the 304, 360 and 401 in regards with oil distribution upgrade. It involves plumbing a line from the front of the engine oil galley to the rear of the crankshaft bearing oil galley feed. I did this to my AMC 360 after the original AMC 304 that was in my CJ7 locked up.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

A cloyes true roller dual timing chain setup for sure. It's expensive but due to it's design it will last much longer with less lube than other chains. The AMC V8's don't oil well in this area. There are some mods you can make to help with oiling short comings of the AMC V8's, if you research it a bit you will find 'em if you don't let me know an I will see if I can dig 'em up.
The oil pump as you know is made into the timing cover on these engines. When you tear it down inspect the area where the oil pump gears are and check for wear in the floor of the pump. If it's got groove in it and alot of 'em do you will probably have to get a new timing cover. I've been told that you either want to find a good used one (which ain't easy) or buy one from BULLTEAR. They're a company that builds quality performance AMC parts. Again expensive but this is you oil pump housing and where the pressure for your engine begins. Now you may get by just fine with a chinese timing cover, just going by what I've read and been told. On mine I was lucky enough to be able to rebuild my pump.
These engines are a little light on HP, adding a bit of compression helps but I wouldn't raise it to the point I couldn't run pump gas. I like mine but you could get alot more bang for your buck if you swapped to a small block chevy or from what I've read the LS1 is hard to beat. This is my opin of course, sometimes I'm right sometimes I'm wrong. Good luck with it.

Thanks, I'll do that.
As the jeep used to belong to my neighbor, the old engine in it has probably been fixed.
I have seen a few post about oil seals. really the only problem with the engine in it now, is the valve seals seep oil. It has started leaking at the front, and rear seals.
It is time to rebuild.
I bought his spare engine a few months ago, so we're going to build it. Then I'll probably bag the original engine, and keep it too.

Thanks, I'm getting too old to take the off road life. I am going in the comfort, but fast direction.
My main need is to make this engine last a long time, without doing modification that can't be put back.
I plan to get a replacement hood, if I need to cut an opening for the breather.
I want to keep all the original parts unmodified.

Back