Feel bumping under my feet.....

mercab18

i have a 97 TJ with a 2" coil spacer lift and 31's...

anyway, just recently when i put it into drive, i can feel bumping from under the car. it stops when i put it into park, neutral, or reverse, and changing from 4wd and back doesn't help.

i'm hoping this isn't a big deal, i'm driving 150 miles with it on tuesday. any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

does the noise occur when the vehicle is stationary or moving? if it's moving lets hope it's a bad u-joint. if it's stationary it might be an internal problem with the transmission. thanks, john

Hey there,

Sounds like you might be getting some contact between the transfer and skid plate. When you put it in drive the whole "power module" (engine transmission, transfer) torques to the side a little. This is OK and normal as long as you have good mounts. The rear mount (the one on the skid plate) is already kinda squishy from the factory so over time it might have failed. Check out this mount. It might be allowing the transfer to contact the skid when the driveline is torqued up (like when you put it in drive). Also, check for any other transmission or transfer contact that might occure. Don't forget to check the exhaust system too... It could be thumping the floor if it has shifted out of position. It too changes position a little when you put it in drive. Best of luck - John

Back