Front end possessed by devil

Renegade79

My cj-5 front end and steering has a mind of its own. After replacing worn tie rod ends and connector arm from pitman to steering knuckle and front end allignment, I figured things would be straight. It still wanders constantly, is very difficult to keep straight, and its like there is no straight in the wheel just left or right. I can't really drive is right now as it pulls left or right at random times. Any suggestions? Could it be U joints?

pitman arm.. the legend is true

Steering stabilizer. it helps stop the road wonder. I know I drove a K5 with 11" and 35's and that thing would NOT stay in a straight line. Even got pulled and given a "field sobriety test" then sent on my swaying way. Steering stabilizer corrected it all

You've covered the tie-rod, drag link, and steering arm......so I'd take a look at the steering box next. Ball joints would more than likely be giving you some "shimmy" too. Is the steering shaft and associated joints between the box and steering wheel worn out?

My Ford Super Duty @ work was all over the road (not a good thing for an 18K lb bucket truck). After the mechanics replaced everything but the steering box with no resluts, I finally just refused to drive it and they replaced the steering box. Straight as a pin now :wink:

oscilloscope?

Sounds like many CJ's I've seen :D It's probably in the steering box, but new shackle and leaf spring bushings would be a good idea. A shackle reversal may be in order as well.

I'll agree on the steering box. My old '85 Toy had a bad steering gear box from the time I bought it till I sold it. I can't remember how many times they replaced the seal because it kept leaking oil. Then they replaced the box itself twice, still leaked, still wandered. Finally just pumped it full of heavy wheel grease just to keep the gears from falling out of it, but it still wandered all over. It would be good and straight for about 3 months, then start to wander after each replacement. The Rancho steering stabilizer I put on helped a bunch, though! You might try that for starters.

The steering box can be adjusted for those of you that are unaware. Look on the top of it and you will see an allen head screw and a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and snug the allen head screw. Then tighten the jam nut.
I would do it with the front tires off the ground and turn the steering wheel a little when you snug it down. Make sure it doesn't have a bind to it.

redrooster said:
The steering box can be adjusted for those of you that are unaware. Look on the top of it and you will see an allen head screw and a jam nut. Loosen the jam nut and snug the allen head screw. Then tighten the jam nut.
I would do it with the front tires off the ground and turn the steering wheel a little when you snug it down. Make sure it doesn't have a bind to it.

Yup...that was a monthly ritual in the old Toyota! :wink:

Here's an oddball suggestion. I had the same problem with my '81 CJ-7. Mine wander developed after the wheel bearings were repacked. Some dolt (that would have been me) did not get the spindle nuts torqued right as I did not have the rare (at least at the auto parts stores around here) socket to fit the nuts. After driving like this for a while, I ordered the socket, torqued the nuts right and all was good again. Good luck. 8)

Back