Front end Thumping sound

JackRabbit

Howdy everyone, I just bought my first jeep, a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo. It just started making this thumping sound (like rubber lightly hitting the fender) when you steer right or left. What is causing this problem and if I continue to drive it, what will happen? Thanks for any and all help.

first, I know nothing about cherokees. From what you wrote though, my first thought would be a broken mount of some kind, "shock mount, sway bar mount, track bar mount, etc..." could be a bearing getting ready to give out. Should point you in the right direction, others that know more about your jeep will be of more help im sure..

Also take a look at your cv boots. (Yes I know its a solid axle but grands have cv joints instead of u joints). They tend to wear out over time, and the stock replacement boot sucks.

Also take a look at your cv boots. (Yes I know its a solid axle but grands have cv joints instead of u joints). They tend to wear out over time, and the stock replacement boot sucks.

they come both way's some have the cv type some have the u joint type don't think a cv would make that kind of noise the u joint one might but i would bet more on a rubber mount or bushing

I HOPE THIS HELPS... I JUST BOUGHT A 1971 POSTAL JEEP FOR 300 BUCKS. A REAL STEAL AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. BUT WHEN I STARTED GETTING THIS UP TO PAR, I STARTED WITH THE BRAKES. MINE HAS DRUMS ALL THE WAY AROUND, NO MATTER. BUT WHEN I TRIED TO LOOSEN THE CROWN NUTS TO TAKE THE DRUM OFF, SOME DUMMY TIGHTENED THE BEARINGS DOWN AND THEN STUCK THE LOCKING PINS IN. IT FLATTENED ONE SIDE OF ALL THE ROLLERS IN THE TAPERED BEARING. IT MADE A REAL BAD THUMP WHEN I MOVED IT OR DROVE IT. AFTER REPLACING THE BEARINGS AND ADJUSTED THEM PROPERLY, IT SOUNDED AND FELT SWEET.
MUDDy

Thanks for all of the help. It turned out to be the front driveshaft u-joints, both Carden joints and yoke. The Cardan joint was what was making the thumping sound. Thanks again for everybody's output.

Back