fuel gauge quite

blown XJ

i hit a pot hole yesterday right after getting my jeep running again.. and my fuel gauge just stopped working. what could cause this?? i have no clue what kind of fuel mileage so i cant drive it till i get it fixed.. any help would be great..

I'm not sure, but mine did something close after tearing through the mud and bumps a while ago. Now every once in a while mine will spike up to 2/3 when I know it's almost empty. and sometimes it will just sit at 1/8 and not change even when I fill up. Don't know what causes it, but I'd like to know as well.

If it simply stopped working after a sudden jar, I'd look for a loose connection first--perhaps a ground wire?

I drove a '76 Toyota pickup for 2 years without a gas gauge, and never ran out of gas.:shock: The very first thing I would do is check my MPG.........fill it up, drive for 100 miles or so, and fill it up again - miles driven divided by gallons used = MPG!! Figure that out and at least you can drive it with some piece of mind.

Check your wires at your fuel pump. Make sure the sender wire didn't pop loose.

yea i checked the wires coming out of the tank they are all tight.. i sprayed wd40 in to make sure they were dry.. mine reads like a inch past full.. i know about what my jeep gets for mileage on the street but i have no clue what it gets wheeling.. i have a samerai with no fuel gauge never ran out ga but i dont wheel it. my jeeps nexted to no gas mileage offroad..

Back