Getting a new title on a rebuilt Jeep in Texas

JMaas

Does anyone have any experience in Texas with buying a junk jeep (or any car) without a title and getting it titled? Might buy a $400 79 CJ7 with no title. I plan to use the frame and tub for a complete rebuild. Owner has no title and claims he bought it from his neighbor before he moved away and doesn't have a title.

I'll call the DMV and see if I can find the owner but if that doesn't pan out would like to hear from someone that has run into something similar.

Please don't write with something like "don't buy a car without a title". I understand the risks and have not bought the jeep yet.

first thing i would do is take the lisense plate no. and/or the vin no. down to the highway patrol and make sure it's not stolen. because if is is stolen, the cops will impound the vehicle and you will be out any money that you paid for it! the frame, of course has no id numbers on it, but the tub does. good luck, john

You Can follow the link That Bounty has posted or Write down the VIN# and take it to the County Courthouse/Motor vehicles dept. and ask them to do a title search. they should be able to tell you if that veh. has a clean title or not. Texas does Require an Inspection if the Veh. has a Salvaged Title or a custom made Veh. This is done by the Texas DPS(Department of Public Safety).

Back