Grill swap?

bett

Hi, I'm brand new here, never owned a Jeep before.

I just bought a '95 Wrangler, pretty much on a whim. I'm starting to go through it and get things sorted to suit me, and I'm wondering Is there another year/model grill with round headlights that would fit without to much fuss? Or is that some sort of sin? I just personally like the look of the round lights better.

Thanks.

Roger

Hey Roger! First of all welcome to JEEPZ! I saw an article in one of my 4wd magazines earlier this year where you could put a cj grill in the yj. I'm not sure how much work is involved. If I get a chance this weekend I find which month and magazine it was in a let you know so you maybe could get a back issue.

Although I have not personally done it, a CJ grill, hood, and fenders can be put on a YJ. The CJ fenders will need to be trimed at the bottom where they meet the frame as the frame on the Wrangler is wider than the CJ. Not a hard job just take your time so the gap between the fenders and the frame is not overly big allow mud etc to splash up on the motor. I have also heard of people leaving the Wrangler fenders on and just trading out the hood & grill. The one major difference between grills is the spacer under the grill where it attaches to the frame at the center of the front cross member. As I recall you need to cut the YJ spacer in half. My 1978 CJ 5 has a bunch of large washers for spacers and I don’t see why you couldn't do the same thing with a swap. I use to have link to how to change the YJ dash to a CJ dash but can’t seem to find it at the moment.

Last edited:

You have a YJ ('87-'95.) The best reason to own a YJ is the square headlights, in my opinion. They're great because they're different (Everyone and their brother has either a TJ or a CJ, with round lights.)

You can swap the grille out with a CJ grille, but I'd rather see you sell your YJ and buy a TJ ('97 and newer, there was no '96 Wrangler model year) instead of chopping up a perfectly good YJ. YJ's in great shape aren't easy to find anymore, y'know.

It's your choice. If you do decide to do the swap, I've heard it's easy with minimal fabrication involved. Try googling the swap, I'm sure you can find a writeup or two. Good luck!

Last edited:
You have a YJ ('87-'95.) The best reason to own a YJ is the square headlights, in my opinion. They're great because they're different (Everyone and their brother has either a TJ or a CJ, with round lights.)

You can swap the grille out with a CJ grille, but I'd rather see you sell your YJ and buy a TJ ('97 and newer, there was no '96 Wrangler model year) instead of chopping up a perfectly good YJ. YJ's in great shape aren't easy to find anymore, y'know.

It's your choice. If you do decide to do the swap, I've heard it's easy with minimal fabrication involved. Try googling the swap, I'm sure you can find a writeup or two. Good luck!

There is no reason to sell your wrangler after all the money, sales tax (if applicable),
licensing etc; give your jeep back it’s dignity man, round hole those lights! The only thing square headlights are good for is helping to identify an old Scout that might have a Dana 300 with a Texas bolt pattern.

Green leisure suits and disco shirts were all the rage once too but who wants to be seen in that garb today just to be different?

Green leisure suits and disco shirts were all the rage once too but who wants to be seen in that garb today just to be different?

That's not even the same thing, you're comparing apples and oranges. Cars are different. Square headlights were big in the late-80's early-90's. I like them. It's just personal preference. But on the other hand I don't like it when people chop up YJ's that were already hard to find to begin with to make them round. All it does is disadvantage us YJ owners that DO like the stock look. When/If my YJ ever dies I'll buy another YJ. If the only YJ's I can find at that time have been converted to round headlights then I'm gonna be SOL. See what I'm getting at here?

Call me an elitist or a purist or whatever you want, but if you really want round lights, just buy a friggin' TJ.

Call me an elitist or a purist or whatever you want, but if you really want round lights, just buy a friggin' TJ.
Um, Sorry(?) It's not like this thing is in great shape. I bought it right 'cause it's been rode hard. Don't have to worry about me butchering a cherry rig, because it's not. I'll probably buy a TJ next, but I want something I'm not going to worry about learning on.

give your jeep back it’s dignity man, round hole those lights!
Bingo!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0460.jpg
    DSC_0460.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 810
Quite the can of worms to open for a nubie! lol
Since this is a subject based on personal taste and opinion,
here's my 2 cents ;)
Not sure who is responsible for the square headlite thing, AMC, or Chrysler, but I think it had something to do with the drop in CJ sales in the early 80s. Did they try to make it look more like an XJ to up those numbers because cherokee was the up and coming "new jeep" at that time? Regardless, the grill and the dash are the only change.
IMHO square is not as appealing. Wranglers went back to round headlites for this obvious reason.
I would do the swap.
OlllllllO

Hope this is legal. So here goes.

blkrubi88 I got your PM, Thanks. and no hurry. apparently I cant PM until I have 10 posts, and I'm about 6 shy at this point. Soooo.

PS. check this link from another board. Looks very doable too.
(ARGGG... Can't post links either)

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your time, and I hope you see this.

Roger

use the "just three words" thread to get your 10 posts in ;)

what are you going to do after that?? move the gas cap from behind the tag to the side of the jeep? don't get me wrong, I love the oIIIo look, but I wouldn't make the swap. I owned a cj for years and a day doesn't go buy that I regret selling it and it's not because of the round lights. I quickly replace my cj with a yj and have never thought...man I wish I had round headlights. I'm just glad the the gas cap was in the same place on the cj and the yj.

Back