Hardtop Seal

PhattyX

I know this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find the post. It's that time of year to put my hardtop on. What can I use to put between the top and the sides of the jeep to seal it. If there was anything there before, it's gone. I remember Gadget saying he got something from the hardware store. I've got a fiberglass CJ top for an '84 CJ.

Thanks!

-X

They make a foam tape that's commonly used under truck toppers.

Hi Phatty,

I did use the foam tape commonly sold to form a seal between a pickup truck bed and a cap.

The tape is sticky on one side after you peel off the paper. I stick the tape on the underside of the hardtop flange and then lower the top onto the Jeep.

I happened to buy the tape at a Sears Hardware Heaven, but the tape is commonly available.

As I recall, the roll of tape was about $6.00. A roll will do a SWB Jeep several times.

Regards,

Gadget

I'm with them... just some foam insulation tape. It is commonly found in RV, camping, home heating, bla bla bla bla, bla bla, bla bla sections.. anything having to do with sealing air

I used the same stuff. Foam tape. Some kinds have a flexable plastic layer on the opposite side (canopy tape) of the sticky side. I like this kind better because the foam doesn't stick over time and you can slide the hardtop on it without the foam grabbing. I also used the regular foam tape across the top of the windshield frame to seal out the wind noise that I always seemed to get whenever I put my hardtop on....it worked great, no more wind noise. One other thing you might want to look into to prevent wind noise and make removal and installation a whole lot easier is some clips for the front. I picked up two clips from a jeeps only store that clamp the front of the top down hard onto the windshield frame.....no more screws.

Back