Heater resistor or???

TG56

On my Wrangler 2006 the heather switch is not workin on lowest setting ,so my first thought is replacing the heater resistor.If that is the problem why did the resistor burn over ? Is possible that I have to remove the blower fan and look at the bearings to avoid that it happened again ?Or is possible that the switch is the problem. Hope to have some comment. Regards

Poor design makes them sensitive to many things. I replace two and both were due to the coating failing and the resistor corroading. In the event they blow out quickly then look at the motor and wiring. Being there is no cabin filter all the outside air comes in unfiltered. This leads to motor and bearing failure.

I had a similar problem in my 01 TJ. It started with a couple of settings that wouldn't work but eventually the fan would not blow at any speed. I tried replacing the resistor, blower relay, and fan speed selector switch. I checked the wiring harness as well because I was told TJs had a tendency to melt, but mine looked fine. I also checked all fuses and relays under the hood. Everything I replaced made no difference. I finally picked up a new blower motor at Autozone for about $90 and that was the fix. I basically went from easiest to hardest to get to hoping I would find the problem, but it was the blower motor itself that was burned out and ultimately had to be replaced.

Good luck.

Found it. I don't see any obvious burns or melts. I have checked the blower switch; it looks fine, as well. Guess I will go get a new resistor and start from there?

I replaced three already. They looked corroded and less burnt. If it happens again quickly, check all connections, and the blower motor.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully, I won't have to squeeze under there any time soon.

Back