Help Me

Jeeperster

So I have a 76' cj-7 with the 304, it's an automatic. First off, it stopped turning over in park, I tried it in neutral, it fired right up. I had been doing this for about 3 weeks, then I had some carb trouble with the Holley carb that's on it. I took the carb apart and cleaned it, I put it back together and it started right up but made a weird almost faint whining noise. I turned it off and now when I hit the ignition it makes a noise that sounds like the engine is already started, the motor won't turn over. I thought starter, so I bought a new starter and solenoid, changed them out and it's still doing the same thing..... Now I have figured out that it is the flex plate, it has teeth missing and it looks pretty bad. Does anyone know how to do this? Is there a video? I think it is probably a fairly easy job....

Last edited:

You'll need to pull the engine or drop the transmission if your doing a replacement. Most likely easier to jack it up on both ends and drop the transmission. I've seen it done both ways.

yup, have to pull transmission.

take cover off bottom by oil pan and unbolt torque converter before pulling engine and trans apart first though so you don;t mess it up. thats one expensive part, the torque converter.

after you get the trans out and flex plate off, you can replace it or just get a ring gear and have a machine shop take the old one off and put your new on, its up to you. i don;t know the cost for either though because its been about 22 years since i had to do one

Back