How big Trailer will a Wranger pull?

Captaintek

I have a stock 1993 Jeep Wrangler and currently am towing a 11' Box popup camper. I am considering purchasing a travel trailer (19'-23") in the near future, but have no idea what the length limit or GVWR would be for my Jeep to pull it.

Any suggestions?

Captaintek

you really need to think weight... you could pull a 40' trailer if it didnt weigh more than 2500 lbs... starting and rolling isnt the issue... its stopping. - well, starting is an issue - had a friend pulling a 26' boat with a GMC Jimmy and kept breaking bell housings... but stopping a heavy trailer w/a short wheelbase vehicle will be exciting... and probably fun to watch! 2-2500 lbs max i'd think....

I tried pulling an old 21 foot fiberglass boat with a big old heavy trailer a couple of blocks from one friends house to anothers with my 93 YJ. Pulling it wasn't a problem but when it came to stopping, it just wouldn't stop. The weight of the boat just kept pushing it. We weren't near any busy roads luckily.

exactly what i was talking about... this freakin' physics thing.... the trailer WILL start pushing YOU when you go to stop (I drive a semi - feel it every day...) watch the weight....

ive pulled a 20 ft dump trailer with my 93 yj and about 3000 to 3500 would be the max i would pull. you could try a break control to help.

trailer brakes help also. I pulled a 18 ft boat with my TJ and never have any problems. Except I top out at around 50 mph, but I don't want to much speed anyway, due to the stopping factor.

Anything over 2000 lbs should have trailer brakes when being pulled with a Jeep. Somewhere I saw a weight ratio of vehicle weight vs. trailer weight that showed the percentage of weight of vehicle vs. weight of trailer in regards to whether or not you should have trailer brakes. I can't find it now, sorry. Also, having towed trailers of all different sizes and weights, I'd strongly recommend an automatic safety brake that engages should the trailer come loose from the hitch. They tie in to the pigtail and when the pin is pulled from the pigtail, the brakes automatically lock, stopping the trailer before plowing into you or oncoming traffic. Very much worth the investment.

Captaintek said:
I have a stock 1993 Jeep Wrangler and currently am towing a 11' Box popup camper. I am considering purchasing a travel trailer (19'-23") in the near future, but have no idea what the length limit or GVWR would be for my Jeep to pull it.
Do you have an auto or 5spd? I saw where the auto is rated to pull 1000lbs less than the stick.

Where you at in Springfield? My mom lives near Walnut and S. Grand, we get up there all the time. Hope the tornadoes last month didn't come too close. Check out www.sija.org/forums .

Back