how many cj frame seperation problems?

woodie92

bought my cj only to find cracked frame around steering section.... have fixed the problem.... wondering how u guys fixed this problem.... can uploasd pics of mine, wondering about yours.:?|

most people just use a patch and weld it in where the hole or crack is

That is a common area for cracks. Several companies make steering box braces. Currie is one.

YJ frames are thicker, one-piece, mandrel bent rails and don't typically have this problem. CJ frames are slightly thinner, two piece channels that were welded together and the cross section narrows at the engine bay. CJ frames are fine for most peoples needs and can handle occasional abuse. Under heavy abuse, I have seen cracks at the motor mounts and welded areas.

If you do weld to it, do it slowly at the lowest viable setting and let it cool often.

yeah i have discovered this.... i got it fixed and added acouple of braces and am buildind my own steerin box brace..... was cracked when i bought it

I used to always crack the bracket's that bolt the box to the frame, until I bought a brace. It's been about ten year's now and I haven't had a problem with it!

yeah i'm building the steering box brace now.... added two additional cross braces for frame...... rewelded the seams on the frame itsself, i'm lucky to have a 3/8 homade c channel for a winch mount which kept it from really twisting much....

Back