how to get to 4:1 ?

Basically I want to be down to 4:1 IM running stock transmission and transfer case. 4.10 in my dana 30 and ford 8.8 What steps should I take to do this. I know alot of guys run Dana 300. I want to do this cheap as possible. Not afraid of junkyards and doing some searching. how do I get started? Keep mine I know it can't be done dirt cheap but IM strapped for cash.

Why do you want 4:1? Seems to me you're geared way too tall for the 2.5L 5spd and 36" tires. Lower axle gears will help you on-road and off, not just off-road as the 4:1 will do.

I run 5.38 axle gears and it seems about right for the 2.5L 5spd and 36" tires.

Mostly want to make a crawl box for rocks and bigger obstacles. the Jeep is mainly off road not a daily driver and gets trailered to the trails.

Makes sense. Keep in mind that you will significantly increase the amount of torque sent to the weaker front axle, so this upgrade will definitely have a domino effect.

Check into a 231/231 doubler kit, and move the 2.5L forward to accommodate the extra length.

I'm trying to get a full understanding of this gear ratio. Now on a 4;10 would that mean for every 4 reveloutions of the drive shaft the wheels make 10 revoulutions. with a 4;1 it's 1 reveloution of the wheel for every 4 of the drive shaft. That's how I'm thinking it works, just want to clarify,sometimes the ole brain thinks a$$ backwards.

with a 4.10 gear, your drive shaft would spin "roughly" 4.10 times per one tire revolution. A 4.1 gear set in the tcase would mutiply that by 4.

A 1.1 would be one driveshaft revolution to one wheel revolution.

What about a Dana 300 Or maybe an atlas With a teralow kit in it? Anyone running this set up ? I herd the planetary gears are pretty stout.

What about a Dana 300 Or maybe an atlas With a teralow kit in it? Anyone running this set up ? I herd the planetary gears are pretty stout.
The d300 in stock trim is no lower than your stock t-case, and the front output is on the wrong side. You can run a flip kit and deal with a small amount of leakage out the shift rails, then install a 4:1 kit inside the d300.

You can not put a teralow 'into' an Atlas. The TeraLow is a product sold by TeraFlex that replaces the front half of the 231 transfer case with a 4:1 unit. An Atlas transfer case is completely different and available in many different reduction ratios.

A tera 4:1 kit replaces the planetary gears in your stock transfer case to a new 6 planetary set. Increasing its strength and reducing your low to 4:1.

An Atals transfer case replaces your factory NP231 transfer case to their custom case. You can order the case with 3:1,4:1,5:1 and even 5.5:1. With an atlas you will need to do an 1 in body lift and have your driveshafts resized.

Correct me if I am wrong Bounty, the NP241 is a 23 spline and the NP231 is a 21 spline.

You can order a 23 to 21 adaptor shaft from advanced, so a 241 can bolt in where a 231 sat

Back