How to remove TJ fender flares...

RRosenwald86

Hey folks,

Looking to replace my fender flares. They have become old and faded. Used the Forever-Black on them and they look like crap. So its about time to just go ahead and replace them with the OEM look-a-likes for the $119 Quadratech sells 'em for.

Before I buy anything, I want to know what I am getting into.

Can anyone explain about the removal of the stock flares on my TJ? It sounds as if those rear flares are a big pain. I may wimp out and bring them over to a body shop and have them do the rear ones to save the headache... how much could it cost.

Anyways, anyone with some direction and/or tips?

Thanks!
-Rob

Its as simple as pie........

Just 8 bolts located on the inside of the flare (on the rear at least).......

All you need is a 1/4" socket set, I am not sure what size head the screw has, but its a common size.

A 1/4" drive because its a tight fit, 1/2" should work too.

Im told you need to remove the rear plastic wheel-well cover in order to remove the rear fender flare. Is this true? If so, how does one go about removing it?

Sorry for the dumb questions

I wouldn't waste your money on replacing flares just because of the color fading. There's ways of restoring the color. Not sure if the heat gun method will work on TJ flares but someone else here will be able to answer that one. I used a very mild cut wax/scratch remover on mine to remove the oxidization and it made them look like new again. If you're concerned about the color then I think your best bet would be to have them painted. I've seen many aftermarket flares fade just as fast if not faster than oem flares. If it wasn't the law here, I'd just get rid of the stupid things anyway.

RRosenwald86 said:
Im told you need to remove the rear plastic wheel-well cover in order to remove the rear fender flare. Is this true? If so, how does one go about removing it?

Sorry for the dumb questions

I am 99% sure you do not. I started to unbolt mine then decided to just leave them on, mask off the body and paint them while they were on.

And I would agree with the previous poster, save the $$ for better upgrades & just repaint or treat them.

Napa makes a paint that is perfect for them, its what I shot mine with. Its a trim paint (part# 7244)
You want to prime them first with flexible plastic primer, which Napa also makes.
A can of each will more than cover the flares. You should even have enough left to touch up other faded garb.

I did mine on my 97 Tj, drove it a year & they stayed black black. I have since done my 00 TJ & its looking like the same results, not exactly the quickest fix but worth the while.

Some of the products (silicone based pour & wipes) look fine instantly, but you will be doing them every few weeks.

Disclaimer:

I am in no way shape or form affiliated with Napa Automotive Products or any other associated retailers therein.

:0)

(they are just the closest to my house!)

Hey gurs,

I did indeed repaint them not so long ago with the stuff Quadratech sells, Forever Black, and it came out like crap. It streaked and ended up only flaking off in spots.

Alas I decided just to replace them with the "like stock" flares. I already replaced the front extension flares with no problem. Hopefully will get the other sets of flares in the mail today. I know the front ones should go on no problem... but still worried about the rear ones. Suggestions?

Rob

Haha, that is the route I'm going. Im sitting here waiting for the other set of flares to come in today so I can start working.

But still, any tips on removing that liner in the rear wheel-well to get to the backside of the bolts on the flare?

Thanks!
Rob

Got em installed. Had to just remove a few of the cheap plastic holders holding up the wheel well covers and got to the bolts no problem.

Looks much better with new flares. Thanks for the help you guys!

I had to pull mine off when getting my car wrapped. The fronts are easy as you would expect. The rears are more difficult. The backs to my screws were not welded on so they fell off into the stubborn wheel well but the back part of the wheel well will come undone easily and all the back will slide out to the ground with out a problem. You have to use the man power when you are putting them back on and you have to pull down the wheel well and stick your hand in there for it to get pinched off. Hope that helps.

Sorry, already sold 'em. Threw them up on ebay once I pulled the old ones off. Didnt think they'd sell for as much as they did.

I dont know how it got bidded up so high, but I nearly made all my money back in that auction to payback the brand new flares I put on. lol. Hey, I cant complain!

-Rob

RRosenwald86 said:
Sorry, already sold 'em. Threw them up on ebay once I pulled the old ones off. Didnt think they'd sell for as much as they did.

I dont know how it got bidded up so high, but I nearly made all my money back in that auction to payback the brand new flares I put on. lol. Hey, I cant complain!

-Rob

Good ol' eBay!!!!! I love it!!!

Oh, and I'll give you a big "A" for effort and determination! Congrats.

When i put TJ flares on my YJ All I needed was a right angle drill, seft taping screws and saws all to cut away unneeded sheet metal. And around 6-8 beers
:)

Back