Inherited Dads 79 golden eagle need 4.2L schematics to start rebuild where to begin?

crimsonblood77

1979 Golden Eagle CJ5 Limited Edition. Original engine 304 V8 switched with a possible 258 AMC straight 6 1982 from Eagle car? Smog crap I don't understand on carb. this will be long term rebuild as I can afford it. good engine runs great after new fuel pump and all new hoses but I'm no mechanic but I can do it if I can see it. I need to see what this 4.2 looked like with everything hooked up is this a 4.2? Do I need FI or keep carb. In the end I want to trail ride with my girls and put it in the mud every chance I get but need it to be tip top dependable before I put it through too many paces. Any advice helps thanks ya'll I LOVE MY JEEP! :sawzall:

First off, welcome to Jeepz! You have entered into what I believe to be the very best Jeep enthusiast site around.

You may want to invest in three books that I can think of: 1. Haynes manual, 2. Chilton manual and 3. Jeep CJ Rebuilders Manual by Moses Ludel. All three can be found online. The Haynes and Chilton manuals can be found at most Automotive retail stores in addition. What one may be lacking, the others usually makeup for.

As for the emissions stuff, the best place to start is to indentify exactly which motor you have (i.e. year) by de-coding the nomenclature (build date code) on the passenger side of the engine block. You can research online to figure out the year it was built and what it was configured with originally. If you have not already, check what your States requirements are with regards to Vehicle Emissions (hope you’re not in CA?).

Enjoy!

Yes, your 258 could have come from a eagle. The 258 is a good torquey engine but all the smog stuff they put on them turned me away from them. I've had several 304,s and loved them all, they got better gas milage than my 258, had more power and was just all around more dependable I thought. ""If"" you wanted to swap back to a 304, only one motor mount needs changed and it bolts on, and the fuel line runs down the opposite frame rail, that's all you would change. To your current engine, Under the motor mount their should be 258 stamped into the side of the block, AMC stamped their engines blocks. Someone should have the schematics you are looking for and will post soon im sure. good luck. Oh, and no, you don't need FI, can if you want but don't have too.

As 69jeepcj said you don't need FI but for me it was the only way I could pass the calif smog requirements with me being the guy to turn the wrenches. Carbed the numbers were triple digit. Matter of fact the smog techs machine could not read as high as my CJ7 was putting out. Now they are down to single digits. With the exception of trying to figure out the wiring, previous owners butched the harness, the install was pretty straight forward and allowed me to remove all the old smog equipment except for the EGR valve, Cat and charcoal canister. the 258 is awesome with the FI on it. Not sure of the gas mileage as of yet nor do I have any numbers from the carbed engine to compare with but I can say that the jeep is running amazingly well now. Good luck with the restoration. lots of great people on here willing to take the time to help you out even if its only brainstorming on what you might need to do.
Jim

Back